Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Friday Follies
Black Friday Follies
Went to Black Friday at Wal-Mart. Had my stompy boots on, did not, unfortunately, get to use them.

We got to The Mart of Wals at 3:30am, and grabbed a cart. I had @DaemeonX with me, and we cruised through the store, picking up the items we needed that were
not setup for the 5am start. Finished up at 3:45, and setup at the ps3 display. At about 4:45, one of my exes showed up at the display, and was standing right
next to it, while the earlier crowd was keeping enough distance to allow carts and shoppers to pass by.

At 5am, she just about got her block knocked off. At 5:00:10, I was passing ps3s behind me in a chain-gang method that we had worked out earlier, and 5 ps3s
got delivered to the 5 people who had set up the bucket brigade : ).

We pulled out of the ps3 scrum, and @DaemeonX says "merry christmas!".

I replied, ever so suavely, "what?"

He pointed at the ps3. We picked up a few other items, including a mess of VERY good deals on rugrat bait, and got on out of there.

I has a ps3. And Black Friday is _highly_ amusing. Next year, I think we are gonna do Best Buy, that should be fun!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

oh my GOD Star Trek is gorgeous in 1080p/120hz.

O_O

X_X

Star Trek is gorgeous in anything. It's just that good.

As for me, I just got back from Fred Meyer- picked up a PS2 controller and Star Ocean 2 for the PSP, both at 20% off. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

The real awesome was ordering myself a 22" 1080p LCD monitor for Christmas yesterday, to replace my slowly dying 17" square screen.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Quote:22" 1080p LCD monitor

I'm pretty certain that 1080p is 'Good Enough For Me!' when it comes to PC gaming (and, of course, console gaming).

Fred Meyer later today for me, need a shelf unit as a christmas present.. I maaaaaay pick up some blu-rays.

Whereas I bought myself a 30" 2560x1600 monitor for $1700 (after discount, with tax and shipping) back in about February.

It's a monster of a display, but I haven't regretted the purchase yet. Particularly considering that as of a week or so ago, the same monitor cost the
$1700 *without* tax or shipping...

The drum kit I was hoping to find was sadly unavailable, but the crowds and lines were relatively thin. No traffic snarls, no angry people, it was so calm I
doubted it was Black Friday for a bit.

Some of it may be the "cash or debit only" mentality that "experts" are suggesting folks are doing.

As in: "Can I pay for it right off? No? Won't get it."
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote:As in: "Can I pay for it right off? No? Won't get it."

fiscal responsibility from the American consumer? Say It Ain't So, Joe!

Quote:30" 2560x1600

now _that_ is a monitor! Two things keeping me from going big like that - 1, I can't afford the 1700$ (my 47" 1920x1080 was 1050$), and 2 - I would have to rebuild compy again to run games full rez full pretty on that beast.

yowza, though, nice!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824254026

I got one of these months previous to black friday, and it was still a good deal.

The newegg "customer choice" things actually do tend to be actual *good deals* in my experience so far.

I grabbed my new desktop today from NCIX. Had some nice deals for this black Friday, and I am quite pleased. I expect to be even more so when I get my hands on
the thing in a few weeks and get it running.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Accomplished on Black Friday:

-- Answered 42 tech support calls

-- Painted an Akuma for the 7th Sword of Light

-- Painted a Loki for the Jade Falcons' Rho Galaxy

-- Paid my cable bill

-- Breathed

-- Phoned with a friend I haven't seen in a while and arranged to meet him for boardgames next weekend

-- Learned that my not-quite-two-year-old nephew misses me, despite having known me for about five days of his life.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I got my first pair of prescription reading glasses today.

(Yes, I am now officially "old". )

Not much of a "loot list", is it?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Bah, that's nothing. I had a pair from last year, but didn't start using them until I couldn't read what the professor was writing on the
blackboard.

It's sad that I'm reaching for the glasses because I can't keep up in school without them. Tongue
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I had glasses for 12 years. My vision was bad enough that I wore them essentially whenever I wasn't in bed or in the shower, because I couldn't see
without them.

I got eye surgery almost a year ago. It changed my perceptions a bit, not to mention my prescriptions.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Survived working in retail despite my back hurting like hell most of the morning and afternoon.

That's enough of an accomplishment for me.

I theorize that part of why things may not have been quite as insane this year is because (at least where I work) they've been having more special deals in
the previous weeks and not quite as much today. (Although we still had the people who wanted today's deals yesterday. Idiots.)

-Morgan.