Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For Suggestions...
Looking For Suggestions...
My sister-in-law suggested we get our nephews anime for Christmas because they enjoy it so much when we share our collection with them. What we're going
to do is get each one an entire series, in a box set. (And yes, Rob, the RightStuf sale will probably be a great help.) Anyway, we've got some ideas, and
we've eliminated the stuff we've already shown them (Big O, ROD, Negima, Haruhi, a few other things), but mostly we've been able to think of stuff
for Tom, who's going to be 15. Chris, who's going on 11, is a little harder, as our viewing habits don't normally include stuff that would be more
suitable for him.

So basically, we're soliciting suggestions, mainly for Chris, but we're open to ideas for Tom. If folks would help, we'd be very grateful.
Thanks!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, my son loves Nanoha, if that helps any. He's 10. Big Grin

Hmm... he's also extremely fond of (read: rabid fanboy) Avatar: The Last Airbender. Which isn't really my cup of tea, I'll admit, but I've sat
through several eps with him and found it enjoyable, if not something I'd seek out on my own.

*wanders into the other room, asks the Small Fry*

He really likes Read Or Die (as do I), but that's not a box set. He also wants to finish watching Bubblegum Crisis 2040 and thinks Initial D is
"kinda ok but mostly boring". And he thinks Ranma is "silly but funny".

... I'm not sure if I should be proud or worried over his anime tastes. Big Grin

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Quote:(And yes, Rob, the RightStuf sale will probably be a great held.)
I suspect my http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/primer/index.html]list of recommendations might help, too... but maybe you don't have time to wade through all that.

Hmmmmm... 11-year-old and 15-year-old males... What are the violence and "fanservice" tolerance levels in their home?

If the answer to the above question is "anything goes," then here are some possibilities which I haven't checked for availability: Cowboy Bebop, The Daichis, Dragon Half, Nuku-Nuku, Porco Rosso, Rune Soldier Louie, and Tsukikage Ran.

Edit: Whoops, I missed the word "series". Either strike Porco Rosso or add a couple of other Studio Ghibli movies to the package it's in.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Fullmetal Alchemist. It's an adventure story, light on the fanservice (no actual nudity, though a bit of cleavage) and light on the violence (there is some
blood, and horrific violence is often implied but never quite seen). The series gets very deep and melodramatic with the second season. Get the first two box
sets (season 1) for the 11 year old and the next two box sets for the 15 year old. That way its a lesson in sharing. ;p

Baring that I recommend season 1 of Bleach (typical shounen fighting goodness) for the 11 year old. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex season 1 may be
good for the 15 year old, but may be a bit too cerebral and violent (amazingly while the fanservice is blatent its also relatively tame). Cowboy Bebop might
also be an excellent anime for the older child.

-----------------

Epsilon

Outlaw Star? Full Metal Panic? Last Exile?
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Thanks, folks.

Peggy is leaning toward Trigun for Tom, and we were thinking of Dual for either boy, as well. We were also considering Nanoha for Chris -- but I had concerns that he might think it was too "girly" at first and never get to the good stuff.

Bleach for an 11-year-old? Really? I had the impression it was really for an older audience.
-- Bob
---------

Quote:Bleach for an 11-year-old? Really? I had the impression it was really for an older audience.
So did I, which is why I didn't recommend it (or Irresponsible Captain Tylor either).
--
Rob Kelk

Quote: Bob Schroeck wrote:

Bleach for an 11-year-old? Really? I had the impression it was really for an older audience.

Bleach is firmly in the shounen category, which is aimed at 9-15 years olds in Japan. While it has plenty of fighting and a bit of fanservice there is: No
nudity and no gore (the anime deliberately edits out the gore from the manga).

-----------------

Epsilon

Have you considered the original Tenchi Muyo OAVs?

Also, Ruroni Kenshin.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Yes, we were considering them both. We're still up in the air about Tenchi, and we haven't even begun to look into box sets of Kenshin yet.
-- Bob
---------

Careful with the Tenchi - fanservice-o-plenty if it's not the TV Version we got on Cartoon Network back in the day. Those bathing suits the girls wear in
the onsen were added on in America.

Oh, I'm more than aware of that. We got into Tenchi in the early 90s, and we've never seen the digital bathing suits.
-- Bob
---------

huh, any pictorial evidence? my curiosity is peaked.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

If you hadn't already picked one for the 15-year-old, I'd suggest "Samurai 7." To date, that remains one of my favorite series, althought
that's mostly because I'm a total Kurosawa fanboy.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:Oh, I'm more than aware of that. We got into Tenchi in the early 90s, and we've never seen the digital bathing suits.
Quote:huh, any pictorial evidence? my curiosity is peaked.
(resists the urge to parse that as "pictorial evidence that Bob and Peggy got into Tenchi in the early 90s" or "pictorial evidence that Bob's never seen the digikinis")

http://tmau.fateback.com/gallery/universe_ld1.html]Have a laserdisc cover scan...
--
Rob Kelk

Nanoha! There is no other option! =D
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Right now we're definitely going to get Nanoha for Nina Avins, and we're considering it for Chris. As I type this, Peggy is shopping Eddie Bauer online for shirts for her brothers, so the anime discussion is temporarily tabled.
-- Bob
---------

I just picked up Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles (complete set, $25 from FLAS) for my now-18-year-old cousin who loves CLAMP's stuff. (Got her Nanoha fansubs last year...)
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I've been trying to stay out of this thread for personal reasons, but now I have to ask some questions that, to me, seemed to been missed:

What kind of stories do they like?

What are their family restrictions on viewing material?

Sub or Dub?

Legit Copyrighted products or Fansubs?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

1. Well, they've liked just about everything we've shown them, anime-wise, from Ranma to Big-O to El-Hazard.

2. My brother- and sister-in-law seem pretty relaxed for the most part -- they didn't seem too bothered by Chris watching Haruhi molesting Mikuru a few months back.

3. Does it matter on modern media? But dubs, generally, work better for the boys.

4. Legit.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, we've made our final decisions and placed our order with RightStuf, who had some very nice deals, making it possible to give rather substantial gifts for surprisingly little. In any case, we ended up ordering Trigun for Tom and (surprise) Martian Successor Nadesico for Chris. (This latter was a last-minute suggestion by Peggy when it turned out some of our other choices were either unavailable or budget-busters.

Oh, and we're going to be giving Nina Avins Nanoha.

Thanks for all the help, everyone. You made us think a little more about what we were buying, and even if we didn't follow all your suggestions, we probably wouldn't have done as good a job of selecting the gifts we did without them.
-- Bob
---------

I suppose it's too late, but... Is Nina young enough to enjoy Sugar, A Tiny Snow Fairy? (Or is she too old to watch a kiddie-show and too young to appreciate a good story no matter what age it's aimed at?)

Just asking because it's on sale at the moment...
--
Rob Kelk

Hard to say. Nina is a very bright, witty 10-year-old. She probably would enjoy it, but, as you say, it's too late. I made the order over 24 hours ago.
-- Bob
---------

*cast raise dead thread*

Ah, I've some suggestions. Too late for Christmas '09, probably not for upcoming birthdays.
For first it's western animation, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, yeah it's origin revamp #xx, yet it works.

Next one I think many people miss, The Mysterious Cities of Gold. The one I linked to is the Australian/UK release...