Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firefox Portable
Firefox Portable
I've recently started seeing those "we're not going to support your browser much longer" messages while browsing with Firefox Portable on a
jump drive. So I went over to Mozilla to download a more recent version -- and can't even find so much as a mention of this product. Did they do away with
Portable? Anyone know what's replaced it? (I'm not into being a crash-test dummy for Beta versions, btw)

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Apparently, it's been moved over to http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable]PortableApps.com (which does make a certain amount of sense). The current stable version is 3.5.5 - there's also a 3.6 Beta 3 available, so be careful which one you download.

("But what's so bad about using unsupported software?" asks the guy still running Windows 2000.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Apparently, it's been moved over to PortableApps.com (which does
make a certain amount of sense). The current stable version is 3.5.5 - there's also a 3.6 Beta 3 available, so be careful which one you download.

("But what's so bad about using unsupported software?" asks the guy still running Windows 2000.)

Thanks Rob. I was looking and searching Mozilla.com and didn't even consider the current version would be on a different domain.

("There's nothing bad about using unsupported software," says the gal who runs Win98 every so often.)

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Quote:I've recently started seeing those "we're not going to support your browser much longer" messages while browsing with Firefox Portable on a jump drive. So I went over to Mozilla to download a more recent version -- and can't even find so much as a mention of this product. Did they do away with Portable?
've been using Firefox Portable since sometime around the early Firefox 2 days (or perhaps shortly before), and AFAIK, Mozilla never did Firefox Portable in the first place; I believe it is, and always has been, exclusively an effort of the PortableApps people (or third-party individuals contributing to the site). I've certainly never seen it mentioned on any of the official sites, any more than I've seen any of the other PortableApps programs mentioned on their respective official sites. (Perhaps less - ISTR that Notepad++'s main site may point to its Portable version.)

It's not impossible that the "portableization" work involved in releasing the PortableApps versions is being done by some of the Mozilla people, but TTBOMK, there's nothing even vaguely official about it.