Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bizarre Mental Collision Of The Day
Bizarre Mental Collision Of The Day
Upon watching the first few eps of the El Hazard OVAs...and finding myself inordinately looking at that bizarre slicked back hairstyle again and again...the
following quote came to mind.

"Good lord, is Katsuhito Jinnai what Brian J. Mason was like in high school?"
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

oh god.

Get thee hence to CTSNB.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

As a weird coincidence - I just recently decided to rewatch El Hazard.

Why can't modern Anime be like that? Why can't they have decent characters and plots any more?

The Amazing Dwindling Budget effect, IIRC.

Or, what was suitable budget for a 5-6 episode OAV is NOT suitable for a 13-26 episode series...

{ADB Effect is best understood by watching the 60s version of Planet of the Apes and then the sequels. First movie: BIG BUDGET BLOCKBUSTER! Sequels: "Well, the Prosthetic make-up is already made innit? We don't need to spend money recasting worn out pieces, or even fitting them to different actors, do we? And besides, we don't need fancy location shots, we'll just re-use this cop movie set..."}
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote: Jinx999 wrote:

As a weird coincidence - I just recently decided to rewatch El Hazard.

Why can't modern Anime be like that? Why can't they have decent characters and plots any more?

Because you are in the firm, comforting and brain-numbing grip of nostalgia and have thus forgotten that most of the anime produced in El hazard's era was
crap. Just like mst of it produced today is crap. Just like most of it produced a decade from today will be crap.

--------------------

Epsilon

There were only 7 episodes of El Hazard. I know it was a stable closed time loop, but they might have been able to make a sequel. :-p

Oh, dear - I can "hear" Kalia's biggest fan screaming already...

Anyway ... I have to wonder: Did the folks who made Nanoha reference this, or did both anime reference something else?
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

There were only 7 episodes of El Hazard. I know it was a stable closed time loop, but they might have been able to make a sequel. :-p

They did.

Two of them.

----------------

Epsilon

Not even mentioning the video game, drama CDs and multiple other products.

Quote: Epsilon wrote:

They did.

Two of them.

----------------

Epsilon

Not even mentioning the video game, drama CDs and multiple other products.

I'm sorry -you must be delusional. There were no sequels to El Hazard, and more than there were sequles to The Matrix, or Highlander.

Ah yes. Christopher Lambert raises the sword high, cries out, "There should have been only ONE!" and cuts a film in half. Suddenly he gets more
powerful and we all feel a lot happier.
---
Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

Quote:I'm sorry -you must be delusional. There were no sequels to El Hazard, and more than there were sequles to The Matrix, or Highlander.
And there's no dubs of Nanoha or Love Hina, either.
--
Rob Kelk

Wow. Deadpan Snarker, eat your heart out.

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: I'm sorry -you must be delusional. There were no sequels to El Hazard, and more than there were sequles to The Matrix, or Highlander.
And there's no dubs of Nanoha or Love
Hina,
either.
Oh? Was there something so horrible in the Nanoha dub that we don't talk about it?

Quote: zero sum mgame wrote:

Quote: robkelk wrote:

Quote: I'm sorry -you must be delusional. There were no sequels to El Hazard, and more than there were sequles to The Matrix, or Highlander.
And there's no dubs of Nanoha or Love
Hina,
either.
Oh? Was there something so horrible in the Nanoha dub that we don't talk about it?

I am a fan of dubs. Really. I prefer them if at all possible.

I lasted less than five minutes into the Nanoha dub.

---------------

Epsilon

Ya mean trying for the squeaky girl voices that only work in Japanese, but sound like helium junkies in English?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Quote: Foxboy wrote:

Ya mean trying for the squeaky girl voices that only work in Japanese, but sound like helium junkies in English?
Yes.1

Now understand that they didn't even get actors to do this. They got Jane from accounting.

To get an idea how bad this is, play a 90s video game imported from Japan.

----------------

Epsilon

1: I am of the opinion squecky voices do not work in Japanese either and make my ears bleed if they squeak too much.

Quote:To get an idea how bad this is, play a 90s video game imported from Japan.

There is no limit to how right Epsilon is, here. I have had to completely shut off the audio for some of that type of content, and rely on subtitles, or just walk away.

voice acting should NOT be actively painful to listen to!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

One might notice that the performers participants on what's supposedly the English audio track on the Nanoha DVDs are not credited. This may be to protect their eventual careers... but I doubt that.

(Anyway, since in my universe the Nanoha DVDs are sub-only, I can enjoy listening to Honami Ambler's seiyuu play Hayate. Or, if I'm watching Rental Magica, I can enjoy listening to Hayate Yagami's seiyuu play Honami. It's win-win!)
--
Rob Kelk