Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puzzlehound's Toy Chest: Would you play this game?
Puzzlehound's Toy Chest: Would you play this game?
Picture this telly advert:

(black screen, dramatic music, white letters appear)

YOU CAN PICK

YOUR NOSE

(4-across by 3-high grid of doggy noses, zoom out to Brady Bunch headshots of the dogs)

YOU CAN PICK

YOUR FRIEND

(a power ranger, armored troll, and a modern soldier, toy-style)

BUT YOUR FRIEND

KNOWS

(blank)

N O T H I N G

(music stops, pan up from chessboard to troll, looking confused. SFX: Bwah?)

PUZZLEHOUND'S

TOY CHEST

(combat music, montage of puzzle games and MMO-type exploration)

(end)

The basic appearance is of a solo or MMO RPG where you have one character and one pet, which jumps in to fight when monsters appear - but...

The player controls the 'pet' - mostly dogs, a sparse sprinkling of other critters. The human(oid)(?) is an action figure fished out of a literal toy chest and enlarged through the power of your doggy awesomeness, and runs on AI scripts chosen by your commands.

When a monster appears, Friend runs forward to melee, and a puzzle appears. Player's progress on the puzzle does spell damage to the monster as well as possibly casting buff/debuff or healing magic via bonuses/power-ups. Friend's hit points serve as the game timer, depleted by the monster's attacks.

Spell/puzzle effects always operate via percentages while Friend's attack and defense are additive/subtractive and must be augmented by leveling, equipment, or buffs. Each Friend type has a special power - for the trio listed the power ranger could call a giant robot for a big hit once per battle ala ff5-9 summons, the troll's HP regenerate even in combat, and the soldier can use grenades a few times per battle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My mother has recently gotten deeply into the "Treasure Mania" Facebook flash-game, but hates waiting for the damn endurance to recover to keep digging. I had the idea to make a slightly different sort of puzzle game where that wouldn't be such an annoyance, like in RPGs where ealing is easy, et viola, game premise. I might even try to make it, as although my programming skills are neither m4d nor l33t one of the numerous free 2d game scripting engines should probably suffice. Mostly I'm just showing off the idea I had, but if anyone here has attempted similar projects via GameMaker, RPG Maker, etc., I'm open to sugestions or advice. I did DL GameMaker 8 Lite and a bunch of rescource libraries (tiles, scripts, etc.) to see if I can give it a shot, so if that worked out there would be the possibility of internet co-op or PvP, if anyone is was enthusiastic enough to care.

Also, I signed up for a free http://grandfantasia.aeriagames.com/]Grand Fantasia account while I'm here where the access is available and the band is broad, and really like it. If you haven't seen the net ads, it's a anime-styed 3d MMORPG with (as noted) free acounts or cheap advanced membership, currently in beta. Whether accounts will remain free when beta ends is another question, but for now at least it is, and if you check down in the Events listing on that page there's an equipment giveaway still going on for the next five days.

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows