Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another DW Addict Checking In
Another DW Addict Checking In
Oh ... this isn't the Betty Ford Clinic?
I got into the Drunkard's Walk by serendipity (see definition below). About a year ago, I was idly looking for the lyrics to a SCA song I'd seen in a songbook 16-17 years ago, and my Search picked up Doug using the title, "Freaking the Mundanes," as a description of the way he'd just messed with somebody's head. The citation I clicked on actually took me to the DWII Concordance. I scrolled up and down, trying to figure out what the Gehenna *this* was, and the bit where he used Bugs Bunny pins as a pledge of retribution caught my eye. That's when I started hunting for the way to get to the main story.
Until I started reading DW, I wasn't especially into manga or anime (I had the Dark Horse translation of Gunsmith Cats, an ADV Gunsmith Cats anime, and a few other odds and ends). DW caused me to buy BGC on DVD and start picking up the Dark Horse OMG. If you turn me into a Sailor Moon junkie, Mr. Schroeck, we will have to have *words*!
Biographically, I'm 47, spent 23 years as a US Army REMF, and was heavy into RPGs, mostly D&D, before I entered the service. I don't *write* so much as I dream up *backgrounds* for stories -- lists, for instance, of the "cast of characters."
I probably would've just kept on reading other people's postings (and snickering) without inflicting my own comments on anyone, but a 2- or 3-year-old post on the DW3 forum kept preying on my mind. There's a quote that I think just *has* to go there.
DHBirr
Oh, yes: "Serendipity is looking in a haystack for a needle and finding a farmer's daughter." -- Julius H. Comroe, Jr.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: Another DW Addict Checking In
welcome welcome Big Grin
ignore the inmates on the left they tend to get rowdy every so often Big Grin
Welcome, DHBirr! Glad to have you aboard -- I hope that even in the wake of Tuesday's sabotage you'll find we have a nice place to hang out and chat, whether it's about DW or not. Feel free to jump in on just about anything you care to!
Love the story of how you found DW. The song you were looking for wouldn't have happened to scan to "Waltzing Matilda", did it? That's the specific one that comes to my mind...

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Its also the only one I can think of that's been considered basicly a SCA-dian tune as well.
"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Quote:
Oh ... this isn't the Betty Ford Clinic?
Nah, it's more of an Edsel Ford clinic - often laughed at, but ahead of its time...
Quote:
Biographically, I'm 47, spent 23 years as a US Army REMF, and was heavy into RPGs, mostly D&D, before I entered the service. I don't *write* so much as I dream up *backgrounds* for stories -- lists, for instance, of the "cast of characters."
Funny, that's how I started writing, too... although you've got a couple of years on me and I was never in the Armed Forces. (I am, however, in the civil service - I may have a no-good body, but I still care about my country.)
Can't resist... When someone who spent two decades in the Army says he was "heavy into RPGs, mostly D&D", I have to ask: What kind of rocket-propelled grenade is a "D&D"?
Welcome!
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Waltzing Matilda, Yes
The friend who showed me the songbook asked me if I knew that tune, 'cause he didn't. After recovering from my shock that a native English speaker *didn't* know the tune to "Waltzing Matilda," I sang "Freaking the Mundanes" for him.
Quote: What kind of rocket-propelled grenade is a "D&D"?
Death and Destruction, of course. And you made your saving throw -- darn.
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.