Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tsutomu Yamaguchi RIP
Tsutomu Yamaguchi RIP
Time does what two atomic bombs can't...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

It said that he died of stomach cancer. Maybe it was the bombs?

I found that curious. It's possible. But for the disease to wait until he was 93? I'm just wondering if it would be more likely to have shown up sooner
if it were directly related to the bombs? Totally non-medical guess on my part, though.

Have to give him credit - one of the ultimate survivors. Lives through two atomic bombs and then only checks out at 93 after a long and fruitful life.
That's just epic.

Aye. Let's drink to the man, because he's probably back with friends from long ago, and they're all damn glad to see he finally made it. Wink

Quote: Logan Darklighter wrote:

I found that curious. It's possible. But for the disease to wait until he was 93? I'm just wondering if it would be more likely to have shown up
sooner if it were directly related to the bombs? Totally non-medical guess on my part, though.

Have to give him credit - one of the ultimate survivors. Lives through two atomic bombs and then only checks out at 93 after a long and fruitful life.
That's just epic.

It pretty much depends on a number of factors like how much radiation he received and what his constitution is.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Quote: ordnance11 wrote:

It pretty much depends on a number of factors like how much radiation he received and what his constitution is.
It had to have been at least a 16.

We're coming to the end of an era here. The youngest witnesses to the bombs are now of retirement age, and the adults who saw them are dying off. What
will people do once the fury of the atomic bomb is outside living memory?

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Watch as the Middle East becomes a glassed crater. */cynic*
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

At the rate things are going, I don't think the Middle East would be the first. Pakistan deeply worries me - they're a nuclear power that can't
seem to keep the terrorists out of their back yard, nor do they seem particularly inclined to do something about it. Rather like a family that likes to leave
table scraps out for the skunks.