Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best webcomic of the decade...
The best webcomic of the decade...
The Washington Post is running http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic- ... me_to.html]a poll as to which webcomic was the best of the 2000s. Nominations are closed, and some good strips (such as http://www.gpf-comics.com/]General Protection Fault) didn't make the cut. When I heard about the poll, I though, "hey, I'll just ignore the ones I don't read - that should narrow it down to two or three, right?" Silly me...

Here's the list:

I voted, saw the current results, and was completely unsurprised at which two strips are in the lead. The one I voted for is currently tied for ninth place, alas.

(I would have made this a poll here, but we're limited to 20 choices...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

This list is invalid without Megatokyo :
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

CrimsonKMR Wrote:This list is invalid without Megatokyo :
That, and Dominic Deegan.

What about Bob and George, the sprite comic?
Though I enjoy Ansem Retort and 8-bit Theatre more.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Hrm, I'm surprised that Sinfest did so poorly. I've been following that one for years, and while it does have some occasional wtf moments, most of the time it's good for a laugh or six.

-WFalling out of aeroplanes and hiding out in holes

Waiting for the sunset to come, people going home

Jump out from behind them and shoot them in the head

Now everybody dancing the dance of the dead

No Sluggy Freelance?

And jeeze, how to choose from what's actually there?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Like I said, so many good strips didn't make the cut.
Quote:And jeeze, how to choose from what's actually there?
Well, I ignored everything that I didn't like enough to throw money at. That got my list down to three, at which point I dropped the one that's in reruns and the one that doesn't publish every day...

(And the one I voted for is now in a four-way tie for eighth place. It isn't moving up; others are moving down. And the top two strips have a quarter of the votes between them.)
--
Rob Kelk

Wolff Wrote:Hrm, I'm surprised that Sinfest did so poorly.
Poorly? It made the cut for final voting, which Megatokyo, GPF, and Sluggy failed to do. That's the exact opposite of "poorly"...
--
Rob Kelk

As it turns out, I only read 3 comics on that list regularly (Girl Genius, Schlock Mercenary, and Order of the Stick). I decided to vote for OotS, which turned out to be the lowest ranked of the 3. 8P

Well, it is just a popularity contest - as they say, your FAVOURITE webcomic, not the best or most influential. At least maybe it'll get some people to look at Hark! A Vagrant. Smile

Ok, I can understand how a lot of people don't find Penny Arcade their cup of tea.  It's sense of humor takes a certain mindset, and a lot of the time you have to read Tycho's front page post to understand them.  Those can put people off it, and that's perfectly reasonable.

But come on, which of any of those comics can say they used the clout of their readership to spawn TWO conventions that tens of thousands of people (many of them video game industry big wigs) and a charity drive that raises millions of dollers for sick children, created two video games, a documentery, and annihilated a media demagogue by taking the high road.  

So Penny Arcade getting 2%?  People are honestly saying, with a straight face, that Navy Bean is a better comic?  The Least One Can Do is nearly as popular?

And no Sluggy?  No Something Positive?  I've never even heard of some of these comics and I've been pretty into webcomics since 2001.

I like and read a lot of those comics,  and it's not a big deal really, but this poll is a little bit of a joke, small sample size be damned.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

I'd say I recognize about half of those.

And of the remaining, I'd sacrifice about half of them in favor of Kid Radd.

-Morgan.

I see the Schlock Mercenary contingent is out in force - that strip now has as many votes as the previous two leaders (xkcd and Girl Genius) put together. And GG has nosed ahead of xkcd.

(Which means the one I voted for, Kevin and Kell, is in a two-way tie for eighth place, but it's dropped to 3%. Almost nobody appreciates a well-written strip that's never missed a deadline in its entire run... Maybe because it's character-driven instead of plot-driven, which seems to be out of fashion at the moment.)
--
Rob Kelk

Ayiekie Wrote:At least maybe it'll get some people to look at Hark! A Vagrant. Smile
That's why I posted the links, instead of just the titles... (Not just for Hark!, but for the other 21 comics as well.)
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:(Which means the one I voted for, Kevin and Kell, is in a two-way tie for eighth place, but it's dropped to 3%. Almost nobody appreciates a well-written strip that's never missed a deadline in its entire run... Maybe because it's character-driven instead of plot-driven, which seems to be out of fashion at the moment.)
Isn't Kevin and Kell a furry comic?
The internet does not tend to like furries.
-----------------
Epsilon

Depends on what you mean by "furry". People-in-suits furry, no. Anthropomorphic animals in the vein of Pogo and Bugs Bunny, yes.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

well, it looks like the folk who love Least i can do have heard, and have staged a rally/ballot stuffage of their own...
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

A massive ballot-stuffage - Kevin & Kell is now in a ten-way tie for 12th place, at "0%".
--
Rob Kelk