Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(North-)East Coast USA Snow Storm Thread
(North-)East Coast USA Snow Storm Thread
So... we've got at least 6-8 inches here (that's 15-20 cm for metric-only types) and it's still coming down last I looked.  The plows have just gone by on our street, building that wall of snow blocks and ice at the end of the driveway that I hate so much.  In a couple hours I'm going to have to go out and dig through it all.  Yuck.
How's everyone else doing?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

*Looks at bare ground and brown grass in New England* I'm... okay?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Huh. Maybe I should re-title this "Mid-Atlantic Coast USA Snow Storm Thread".
-- Bob
---------

Sunny skies in Ottawa...

Although I understand Washington is shut down completely. (I like this photo - it's got good composition for a quick shot - but I wouldn't want to be the one who had to take it.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

In Kensington, MD.

24-26"+ of snow and still falling forecasters say 30+ total. When I went to bed last night already had 8" of snow.

As far as snowplows are concerned....What snowplows? Ain't seen no stinking snowplows...which is no surprise my street is always the last to be hit.

-WMD
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

The snow/rain mix here in Fargoland is making the commute to and from work, (widening the eyes) ...very entertaining.

One little bit of idiocy almost took my head off when I did the Double-take: Someone strapped 2 twin-sized mattresses horizontally to their SUV... One across the back, and one across the front. (Yes it was blocking the headlights)

I think I dislocated my neck...
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Southern Maryland here, around thirty miles more or less due south of the White House. We've got something significantly over a foot so far (visual assessment of what's on our deck outside the window), but predictions for total snowfall have scaled back from "24 to 30 inches or more" to "20 to 25 inches", which pulls us back out of record-snowfall competition range. (The record, 28", was set in 1922.)

Based on how long it took to get the local streets clear after even the late-January storm, much less the December 19th one, I don't particularly expect to see any sign of snowplows before tomorrow morning.

We got plenty around here. At least a foot, reaching up to knee-high in some dips and valleys. Road crews are doing good jobs with the streets, but it'll be fun getting through the snow wall.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Is this where I sniff disdainfully and go 'wimps'?

We just had one of those a couple weeks ago. Fun, isn't it.

No, not fun at all. I pulled something in my lower back near my left hip digging us out this afternoon, and between that and the headache I inexplicably developed since then, I am most expressly not a happy camper right now.
-- Bob
---------

Ouch.

The email I just sent you can wait a few days, then...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Haven't seen it yet, so worry not that I've reacted poorly to whatever it is.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:No, not fun at all. I pulled something in my lower back near my left hip digging us out this afternoon, and between that and the headache I inexplicably developed since then, I am most expressly not a happy camper right now.

I missed placing the sarcasm tag in my post, it seems.

Yeah, I feel you. Did something similar digging out my car.

No, sorry, sarcasm identified; I just was in a lousy enough mood to deliberately take it seriously. I managed to sleep, btw, but when I got out of bed the pull or whatever made itself known. Definitely a double ibuprofen day today.
And likewise, my sympathies for the pain.
-- Bob
---------

It was raining cats and dogs (for SoCal  anyway) for the last 2 weeks. Finally got clear skies and sunshine today.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

best of wishes during this unaccustomed winter weather.

I wish we had some more of that ourselves! the mere 4" we've gotten since friday isn't even enough to slow the wheels of progress up here.

Got to blow the dust off the snowblower, though, and refresh the insulation on the house, which was nice.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

After last year, I was expecting something good this year.  So far, we've got plenty of precipitation, but all of maybe an inch of snow.  Cumulative.
This summer is going to suck for the farmers.  Snowpack is light this year...

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Looks like we've got more coming in tomorrow night; it's not clear how much is headed our way yet, though.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Looks like we've got more coming in tomorrow night; it's not clear how much is headed our way yet, though.
I've heard the DC area (my general location) is looking at another 7-14 inches from noon tomorrow til Wed. night.  Which will be entertaining, seeing as we've still got 2 feet or so on the ground...

The east coast is deservedly getting the headlines with the massive snowfall totals, but you guys do realize other places not on the east coast are getting lots of snow (for them), don't you?
For example, Indianapolis (city mottos = "we don't do snow removal very well" and "snow plow? what's that?"), gets an annual snowfall of about 20 inches. We got 8 inches on Friday, and will have another 6+ inches on the ground by the end of today from this latest storm. Tonight the wind will get up to 20-30+ (blizzard conditions).
Best of luck to the east coasters - you're going to need it on this next one!

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Oh, yeah, Jeanne, I'm aware that other areas are getting record snowfalls (as in, in some areas, "ohmigod the ground turned white!" ). It's just that, the incoming foot in my driveway has substantially more immediacy for me than the two feet in J. Random Midwest Town. Especially since my back is still sore from straining it on Saturday.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Oh, yeah, Jeanne, I'm aware that other areas are getting record snowfalls (as in, in some areas, "ohmigod the ground turned white!" ). It's just that, the incoming foot in my driveway has substantially more immediacy for me than the two feet in J. Random Midwest Town. Especially since my back is still sore from straining it on Saturday.
Yes, this.  Including the back pain.  Sorry Jeanne ^_^

Quote:Bob Schroeck wrote:

Oh, yeah, Jeanne, I'm aware that other areas are getting record snowfalls (as in, in some areas, "ohmigod the ground turned white!" ). It's just that, the incoming foot in my driveway has substantially more immediacy for me than the two feet in J. Random Midwest Town. Especially since my back is still sore from straining it on Saturday.
I do understand about 20 inches of snow in Philadelphia and 30 in DC and stuff like that.  I used to live in Jersey.  It happens, and you're as little prepared for that as we are.  I went through 33 inches in S.Indiana in December 2004, and my back still hurts just thinking about digging out the driveway from that so we'd have a way out and away from the house - all the other doors had snowdrifts against them.
You gotta understand though, it just gets VERY old here in "flyover country."  We don't exist, you see. Anything happens east or west and that's all you hear about, ad nauseum.   Like this snow. Yeah, it's news, but it's moved beyond overkill in the national reporting of it.  I sometimes wonder if anyone on the east or west coast would notice if Something Very Bad happened in the middle of the country.  It sure wouldn't get reported on the news, or not for very long anyway - they must make room for the latest more important news of Kim Kardashian stubbing her little toe.

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Well, makes our current 5-9 we're getting today and tomorrow seem platry, but no less troublesome. I remember the blizzard we had a few months back. Actually closed the UW Madison which hasn't happened in about 30 years. I can only imagine what's happening out there.

What I'm glad is that it's not hitting here as my employer would still be open (It was in the blizzard. Had to hike 2 miles to get to work in it to not get fired).

All we've been getting down here in Texas is rain, rain, rain, and for a change of pace, rain. Did I mention rain? ^.^
We've actually been getting flash flood warnings.
We actually DID get some pretty significant snowfall around Christmas. Actually had a white Christmas in Dallas! Just in case you don't get how significant this is - THIS. NEVER. HAPPENS.
I was like "WTF? Did Al Gore make an unexpected stopover or something?"
Still, nothing to compare with the snow. Several feet and more of snow up there. Yikes.