Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Permission to come aboard, sir!
Permission to come aboard, sir!
Hello!
After lurking in the shadows for the past year, I've finally decided to step into the light (it buuuurns!) and formally join this happy bunch of misfits and weirdos. Smile Now for the introduction. Drums please!
The name's Rolando F. Farrales Jr.; my friends call me Ro. I'm a 27-year-old Filipino-American living in scenic Fort Washington, MD, right outside Washington D.C. I'm a graduate of Virginia Tech (go Hokies!) and was a member of its Corps of Cadets.
It's safe to say that being here means that I share most of the same hobbies and interests with you fine fellows, so I'm not going to list them out. Why state the obvious? I'll just mention the one thing I'm into that hasn't been mentioned by anyone else around here, which is personal health and fitness. I aim to always be young at heart, so having a body that can keep up with me will help make that happen. Easier said than done (and trying to lose weight is a b*tch-and-a-half), but I persevere! "FIGHT-O! FIGHT-O! FIGHT-O!"
I found myself here the same way a lot of you did, by way of the EPU Forums, to satisfy my curiosity on what this "Drunkard's Walk" was all about. Next thing I know, I'm an instant DW fan. (Just add water and stir vigorously. Serves six. Refrigerate after opening.)
That's it for me. I shall now return to the shadows and patiently wait for Chapter 15 of DWII. Later, all!
-ro
Permission granted!
Welcome to this merry band of pranksters, Ro! I'm glad that you decided to come in out of the cold.
I don't think I really need to say it, but feel free to jump in on any topic that catches your eye. Even long-dead ones, if you care to -- I'm not as nuts about that as, say, Gryphon is.
As for chapter 15, as soon as I shake this damned cold, I'll get right back to it.
Thanks for joining up!

-- Bob
---------
"Flan on!" -- The battlecry of the Human Dessert
Re: Permission granted!
You may not be as unique as you hoped... [grin]
"Personal health and fitness" is a long term hobby of mine, in the form of keep-fit attempts, like morning exercises, walking, appropriate diet, etc. I am incompetent in seven and a half martial arts, which is something that I can recommend for fun, as long as you don't get into the competitive side of it, too much.
Remember the old "healthy mind in a healthy body", and keep up that mental agility and flexibility as well! I think the Greek word "gymnasium" has some meaning like that.
And, with some of the dubious people on this web board, you will need all the mental agaility you can muster, so you can claim that being here is a keep-fit measure! [grin]
(Please note: I include myself among the 'dubious people'.)
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
It's interesting, Ace, that you mentioned martial arts. I've been thinking about taking it up again. I used to practice taekwondo when I was in elementary school, and I worked my way up to red belt. Then I moved, couldn't find another teacher, and my skills fell by the wayside. I've been trying to decide what particular style to learn, if I do go thru it.
As for mental agility, I should be good. I'm a bookworm, I like playing with brain teasers and puzzles, and I'm always open to new things. Plus, hanging out here with my fellow "dubious peoples" should keep me on my toes. Smile
> It's interesting, Ace, that you mentioned martial arts. I've been
> thinking about taking it up again. ... I've been trying to decide
> what particular style to learn, if I do go thru it.
I would recommend Tai Chi, as it can be done for just physical fitness, has instructors in their 80s+, which shows they must being doing something right, and in my experience the warm-up often has elements of Chi Gong (sp?), Chinese internal medicine. As a martial art it can be effective, and I was just starting Tai Chi sword the last time I was obliged to leave a class (no, I didn't try and cut anyone in half; difficult with a wooden sword, anyway! [grin] ).
Apart from that, whatever works for you!
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Funny, I would have thought that the Corps of Cadets would have had more of an Army bent than a Navy one, myself...
but at least you know the proper rituals, anyway.
But where's your Salute, Sailor???"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
"President SKROOB! SALUTE!"
"HAIL, SKROOB!!!"
Smile
Anyway, yeah, our Corps of Cadets followed an Army-style organization. I was a Navy brat first though, so I guess my subconcious went by order of indoctrination. Plus, I work at Navy Federal Credit Union, so I deal with sailors' accounts all the time.
Tai chi was one of the styles that caught my eye. One of these days I need to research the various styles that interest me and see which complements my strengths and weaknesses the best, then see if it's available in the D.C. area. Thanks for the advice, Ace!