Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who the hell did you think she was!?!?
Who the hell did you think she was!?!?
So....
Just got done watching the TTGR Laggan-Hen movie.   I think I've got something in my eye.
The movie boils almost the entire series down to a clipshow less than an hour long... and uses the remaining hour to take the entire "Rescue Nia from the Anti-Spirals" mission and turns it into a Crowning Moment Of Awesome that takes CMoA duration records and shatters them.  EVERYONE gets their badass on to even greater levels in this one (except Kittan, but then it would be harder to top his CMoA from the series).  Even Nia gets some a lot of Sheer Awesome time on-screen, and I'm not referring to her rather prolonged nudity.  It makes the end even more heart-rending, and I'll admit to a bad case of Fridge Logic concerning universe-breaking Spiral Power and its apparent inability to save one small, sweet girl.  I mean, come on!  As if every member of Team Dai-Gurren wouldn't have been willing to give Nia a bit of their own life to keep her going?
Still... It manages to be even more awesome, and more heartbreaking, than the last couple eps of the original series, and I really started to tear up at the end of the wedding. 
And, oh yes:  "My Wife Is the Greatest SWING!!!!"   Total breakage right there, especially since said wife was watching.  Along with the WHOLE PLANET.  I doubt he'll need to buy her chocolates or flowers for a long time after that -- a month at least.  Smile

Simon pretty much states that Nia forbade him from breaking the rules of the universe just to preserve her own life.
Because if he did that, it would start an inevitable road of bringing EVERYONE back from the dead, and hasten the "Spiral Nemesis" where the entire universe is crammed with spiral beings until their mass collapses everything.
Edit: I *do* have a fic idea that takes place after Simon wanders off into the sunset with his sword over his shoulder.
He ends up on a shore, where a boatman offers to take him to avalon to rest with all the other True Kings until hes needed again.
"She" wont be there however, (The other kings have a rule against women, you see).
Since this takes place in the waking moment between dreams, Simon gets it into his head that she MUST be *out there somewhere*, so he decides/swears to wander until he finds her.
This happening when/where it does, and Simon being who he is it ends up into a wanderlust style crossover series.
The problem is, I cant think of any where for Simon to GO, where any obstacle does not simply get promptly curb-stomped in short order.

VladimirTherin Wrote:The problem is, I cant think of any where for Simon to GO, where any obstacle does not simply get promptly curb-stomped in short order.
Ohhhhh, c'mon!  You know it'd be great fun anyways!  Just think of it as a collection of Simon-oriented Spam fics!  ^_^

...from the implications in some of this description, I conclude that I need to see this series. (My single greatest previous exposure to it has been http://www.fraglimit.net/~wanderer/plan ... 20TTGL.gif]this animated GIF.)
Yeah, but--!
VladimirTherin Wrote:Simon pretty much states that Nia forbade him from breaking the rules of the universe just to preserve her own life.
Because if he did that, it would start an inevitable road of bringing EVERYONE back from the dead, and hasten the "Spiral Nemesis" where the entire universe is crammed with spiral beings until their mass collapses everything.
Yeah, but, she wasn't dead yet!  Bringing her back after she died would have been one thing, keeping her alive is something else entirely. 
Scale factors
The Wanderer Wrote:...from the implications in some of this description, I conclude that I need to see this series. (My single greatest previous exposure to it has been this animated GIF.)
TTGL is perhaps the only series where "Hey, did we just step on a galaxy?" is one of the less outrageous lines of dialogue you might hear.

SkyeFire Wrote:
VladimirTherin Wrote:Simon pretty much states that Nia forbade him from breaking the rules of the universe just to preserve her own life.
Yeah, but, she wasn't dead yet!  Bringing her back after she died would have been one thing, keeping her alive is something else entirely. 
I generally just cut off my memory of the series end at the wedding, before Nia faded away. You don't really lose anything, and we get to keep Nia, so I say it's a fair trade.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."