Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon Age: Origins
What an intriguing game!
Like most Bioware games, it's a touch more blah blah blah than chop chop chop, but that's OK.
I've ran through all of the origins, and I ended up approving the most of the City Elf origin, though I had a flicker of something inside when I did the Dwarf Noble..

So I reached back into the dawn of prehistory, and rolled up my original Everquest toon, one that's been with me since MUSHs in 1994, Kokuten.
And here we have it.
I'm playing a sword-and-board warrior, and the balance between tankitivity and choptuition is juuust about right. Ostagar is behind me, and the Circle of Magi is in front.
I just bedded Morrigan, and the elegant alabaster figure of Morrigan rising above the potato-sack shaped lump of my dwarf is the funniest thing I've seen in quite a while, but YMMV.
Next stop - Magi! and Leilana!
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

*blink*
There's an image that will be forever scarred into my memory.  *twitch*
DA:O is a hoot, yep.  I haven't finished it yet, because I keep getting sidetracked by Oooh SHiny!, but it's hella fun anyways.  One word of warning: if you intend to woo Leliana, don't wait too long.  If she gets too friendly towards you, the option goes away.
I get the impression it's a case of hero-worship so strong that she doesn't want to sully your godlike body with her wanton desires or some such bard-like crap, but it bit me in the ass on one of my alts.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

I've finished a play with a, as you put it, board and sword Human Noble. He ended up sharing sheets with Zhevran, since Morrigan doesn't like the knight in shining armor type, and I Leilana was at the "Lets just be friends" point of a relationship.  And yes, it is very fun.  I'm currently running through with a slashy-stabby Dwarf Commoner Rouge.
As for the issue with Leilana, if you update the 1.0.2 patch, it's a lot easier to do her personal quest and get her to join you for a roll in the hay. They've set it up so you can do it no matter how friendly you get with her.

Looks like the 'trick' to bedding Leliana is to do her quest, that makes her a lot more biddable.

On this run-through, I'm going to try and 'get' Zhevran, and make a try at Leliana, but I'll be pushing her hard on the next run-through, which will be a female city elf rogue...

Still in the tower of Magi, too busy with RL stuff to get any game on..

Has anyone noticed that with a change of graphics, storyline and some minor bits o stuff, the game to me feels like it's a trial run for Mass Effect 2 engine. Of cause I'm playing the 360 version of this and my ME2's the PC. Or am I just musing sleep-deprived on something that's minor and...stuff.

Morrigan must wear a flesh-toned bodysuit as part of her robes.

Morrigan is definitely the beneficiary of some exquisitely placed Spirit Gum. As a side note, her 'undies' are _less revealing_ than her default top.

I think I'm gonna throw this back in tonight, I've been gnawing on White Knight Chronicles, but I need a break. If I see one more damn Kibble..

So, I've chewed through Reddefelle, yay, and I got to kill a little boy.

That was fun. didn't find out till afterwards that there was a way to avoid it.

And now I'm in Denerim, working Leliana's character quest... I'm fighting the 'boss fight' for it, and I may be going insane.

I'm thinking I'm going to go grind a couple of levels so I don't get turned into paste immediately 8( 8(

Wiredgeek Wrote: I'm thinking I'm going to go grind a couple of levels so I don't get turned into paste immediately 8( 8(

Uh... just so you know, Dragon Age scales dynamically with levels.  So if you level up, the monsters will to.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

Herr Bad Moon Wrote:
Wiredgeek Wrote: I'm thinking I'm going to go grind a couple of levels so I don't get turned into paste immediately 8( 8(
Uh... just so you know, Dragon Age scales dynamically with levels.  So if you level up, the monsters will to. 
... Ouch.

While yes, as you level up so do the monsters, a level or 2 extra can make a big difference because them extra levels give you more powers at your disposal.  A good example of this is getting stomped by Reverants in the Brec Forest, leveling up a big to get the cone of cold, and then returning to stomp the crap out of them. =)
Crowd control can be so godly in this game =D
"There are no problems that cannot be solved with cannons."
-Chief Engineer Boris Kraus of Nuln

The monsters do scale with level, but they start high and don't advance as fast as you do. When I was playing my Dwarf Outcast Thief, things started hard, but by the time I hit level 8 or so things were much easier, and by the end of the game my party was romping over everything.

hmmm, cone of cold, that might help against the sledgehammer guards.

That is the single most frustrating battle I've had yet. Lemme script this out for y'all.

Warden: Bleargh, Leliana, harden the 'f up, kill this loser.

Leliana: Yeah!

Marjarine: OK DIE NOW KTHX

Mages and Guards: *Appear*

STUN KNOCKDOWN FIREBALL MURDELIZE

Morrigan: *Survives*

Morrigan: Ha!

Morrigan: *dies*

Hmm, I speech-thinged 'round that fight. So it didn't even happen. I've found the trick is to (attempt to) one-shot the mages first.

Cool-thing one-shotting darkspawn. Doesn't quite work with the yellow-con'd ones but Holy Smackdown knocks a mob down to size.

not... exactly an option for me. I'm pretty much running the same spec on my Warden as I am on Alistair, they're both sword-and-board tanky types. I've not yet added enough Archery to Leliana to make a real difference, and Morrigan is suffering since I've been trying to get her Herbalism up (daddy needs infinite gold).

I'll try and dig up my actual build tonight.

Do you have Wynne? A healer makes most of the fights loads easier.

I may have accidentally painted the walls in the Circle Tower with her blood.

I couldn't possibly say whether or not this is true, but she's not available at this time.

Morrigan is setup as a healer, but it's not doing too well.

(I _tried_ to recruit her, I really truly did!)

If you don't have Wynne, you abolsutely have to set Morrigan up as primary healer, and level her up exclusively for healing. The later game is *murder* without a dedicated healer.

Lovely.

So now I'm juggling Leliana's interest, while trying to keep Morrigan happy enough to hang around, and still keep Alistair happy (he's quite pissed about the whole demon-child thing, maybe his mother's amulet will cheer him up).

Could be worse, the game could be boring @_@

I see you're playing a rather evil character. MPTY, I can't do that. I always play lily-white characters.

Except in Mass Effect, where the Renegade choices are rather more 'asshole' than 'evil', which appeals to me - so my second playthroughs are always Renegade.

Actually, I'm trying to be good, it's freaking tough!

Wynne.. I've ran the initial Wynne meeting three times now, and I can NOT keep her from trying to turn me into a thin paste, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

My 'Dream Team' is Tank!Warden, Healer!Wynne, Zappy!Morrigan and Shooty!Leliana, but Wynne just won't play ball.

Odd. I didn't have any trouble getting Wynne to cooperate. I just told her I think the chantry is full of smacktards and I'd never let them pull a Cleansing (or whatever) and that was it.

Yeah, same here. What exactly are you saying to her?

Well, once things go south, it's usually 'oh, crap, sorry I turned you into a thin red paste again'.

But enough about her. If I can't get Morrigan to take Wynne's place, I'll just.. think of something. Maybe I can dual-spec Alistair as a healer.

However, I beat the Margarine encounter. A friend of mine was over, and I gave him a shot at the Margarine fight, which he danced sideways through the dialog around and bypassed.

So I reloaded my save and got into the fight, and he pointed out the doorway I came in through. "wouldn't that be a nice thing to chokepoint them in?"

About a minute later, I was done with the quest.

yay!

Today's platter is - side quests in Denerim. Yes, Morrigan, we are going to solve every little problem in Ferelden personally. Daddy needs his moneys.

I accidently talked to Leliana when trying to loot a corpse. So, here I am, in the back room of the Gnawed Noble, blood up to here, trying to rifle this guy's pockets, and Leliana wants to know why I'm 'leading her on' while I'm still 'involved with Morrigan'.. jeez, talk about inappropriate timing!.

Alistair's sister is a stone bitch, but in all honesty, she has every reason to be. I wonder if Sergant Kylon is going to be angry when he finds out I'm working for the thieves guild and the assassins guild..

One combo I've found useful is to throw a heal over time on the tank, run him into the middle of a bunch of mobs, have him blow his taunt, and then putting that forcefield bubble on him. He'll keep all the threat from the mobs, be invulnerable to damage, and you can drop AOE's on them. By the time the bubble wears off, hopefully you have widdled away enough that the tank can handle the group while your mana recharges or you pop potions.

God, felt like a WoW strategy right there.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

oh got und leetle feeshes. I was trying to leave Owen the Blacksmith's house, and I mistargeted and talked to Morrigan instead.

-15 approval, and I haven't even shagged Leliana. ouch ouch ouch.