Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S is for...
S is for...
A cool collage of different versions of Superman's "S" emblem. 
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

That's pretty cool.
I already knew that in the 70s that due to the films and all, the "S" shield was retconned to be the crest of the family El. But I find it hard to believe that John Byrne could draw the shield by just drawing (and seeing) the "negative" yellow spaces. Although the idea that the YELLOW parts are the "alien glyphs" and are actually the important part of the symbol to the Kryptonian Eye is a fascinating one.

I find it not only hard to believe but an obvious untruth, as in Byrne's Superman reboot, the S symbol was designed by Martha Kent.
Unless Byrne spent years drawing Superman in his spare time.  I can't recall any occasion before the reboot when he was artist on a comic involving Supes.
--Sam
"Oh no!  My Fortress of Fortitude!"

Evil Midnight Lurker Wrote:I find it not only hard to believe but an obvious untruth, as in Byrne's Superman reboot, the S symbol was designed by Martha Kent.
Unless Byrne spent years drawing Superman in his spare time.  I can't recall any occasion before the reboot when he was artist on a comic involving Supes.
--Sam
"Oh no!  My Fortress of Fortitude!"

Well, Byrne had a long fanzine career in his youth, and as an aspiring comic book artist, Superman would be one of the subjects he probably devoted time to getting right.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."