Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Article
Interesting Article
Apparently the multiverse cosmology we crossover fanfic writers love so much disturbs a number of real cosmologists because in its basic formulation, it is unfalsifiable, and thus untestable scientifically -- but it's being treated scientifically by many scientists.  It also has problems with privileged viewpoints and whatnot when it comes to methods of testing.  However, though, a couple of cosmologists working more or less independently came upon a couple of different ways of measuring and deducing things about the multiverse that a) don't rely on a privileged point of view (which Einstein says is a big no-no) and b) actually turn out to be two different approaches to looking at the same things coming at them from two different directions.  The upshot of this is, multiverse cosmology has just gone from a cool unprovable idea to something close to science fact.  Interesting article about it here.
(As usual, I got this link from Fark.com, where they had a typically funny summation/headline for it:
Quote:Cool: "Everything that can happen will happen in
the multiverse - an infinite number of times" Fark: In an infinite
number of other universes, you are getting it on right now with Rosie
O'Donnell.
)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

That is awesome. Epicly awesome, even. Next thing you know it, they'll be opening portals to take real measurements.

Just hope they miss the few billion "Nazis Win" timelines >
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

*Snorts* Shit, that'll just give us a place to boot the facists that give us problems into. Morally questionable, I know, but it gets them outta our hair and they'd probably be happier there anyways.