Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is It Just My Imagination...
Is It Just My Imagination...
...Or are we experiencing a wave of massive geological activity?
Earthquake in Haiti, 8.0+ on the Richter Scale.
Not long after, earthquake off the coast of Chili, 8.0+ on the Richter Scale, plus a sizable tsunami.
And now volcanic eruptions in Iceland.  I know that it is nothing serious right now, but it has the potential to get worse.
Right now, I'm just hoping that we aren't due to experience an big quake here in Japan.

I don't know about "massive" - after all, the Yellowstone supercaldera hasn't blown yet...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Okay, maybe massive is a bit too strong, but when I think of things in terms of billions of tons of land mass suddenly shifting....
PS: Yellowstone's a bit more like a pressure cooker situation.  I doubt it would be affect by what's going on now.

Well, the Chile definitely rung the planet. There was a 4.0 here in SoCal. Whether the Chile quake is creating activity in other plates is soeculation at this point. Besides, Japan is not the only country who will get hit by quakes if it does happen.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Maybe it's not your imagination
Here is a web page I've had book marked for more than 5 years.
http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/
It has a 6 month memory for earthquakes in the central and east coast states and this is the first time I can remember it exceeding 200 quakes in the 6 month map memory.
Also lately, say in the last 2 or 3 months, the quakes seem "different" in a some way. Tighter? Larger? Frequency of type?
For the past 5 years I've had a habit of giving the webpage a quick glance once a week, but I wasn't really paying close attention so I can't put my finger on what has changed.

howard melton
God bless