Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dreaming of Drunken Walks...
Dreaming of Drunken Walks...
As it is only polite to introduce myself...
Science Fiction fan for forever, Anime fan since an accident at an SF con in the late 1980s.
Consumer of fanfic since the early '90s, when Megazone was god on what's now RAAC.
Occasional indulger in excessive RPGing, particularly superheroics, if available.
Long-term amateur tinkerer with RPG rules, mostly extending things.
High Tech fan, Programmer with strange ideas, and mostly British.
Is that enough to get started with? [grin]

Ah, and non-drinker! [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Re: Dreaming of Drunken Walks...
Sorry! I know it's bad practice to answer youself, but...
Thought I should say that "Ace Dreamer" is/was a "Superworld" character, the sort of superhero who gets into trouble due to having involuntary continuous Mage Sight, and seeing the supervillain's secret id...
Main ability, can make dreams that he has had at some point into super powers - however has no control over his dreams! [grin]
"Yes, I can _do_ Invisibility, but it only works if I take all my clothes off !"
(Pretty sure people can guess what dream that comes from...)
Normally I use "Dreamer" as an id, but "Ace Dreamer" is fall-back, and seemed sort of appropriate...

Remember, Treat Your Plastic Chicken with Respect!
--
Welcome, Ace Dreamer! I've already seen you participating around here, and that's always a good start. I'm glad you've enjoyed my stuff; I hope I can keep you interested with what I've got planned for the future.
Quote:
Anime fan since an accident at an SF con in the late 1980s.
Sounds like there's a story to be told there...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Anime accidents at SF cons...
Liverpool, annual British Easter SF con, 1988 (or maybe 1989). Booked late, and found I was sharing a room with a certain Carlo, one of the big people in British anime fandom at the time. He insisted (ha!) that I go to a certain Helen McCarthy's (sp?) late night film shows, starting at midnight, till 3-5am...
Loads of anime, a few bits subtitled, mostly raw Japanese, no dubbed. I didn't get much sleep that con...
And, later, when I decided I was an anime fan, I remembered Saturday morning cinema, in the 1960s, which us kids got dumped at. Something called "Alakazam" or some such, a strangely colourful cartoon about a monkey and a priest on a trip from China to India. Never saw anything like it again until the Eastercon.
So, maybe I have been an anime fan rather longer than I thought I had! [grin]
As for future bits, I suspect you will keep us entertained!

Wear Your Mushroom with Pride!
--
Quote:
Loads of anime, a few bits subtitled, mostly raw Japanese, no dubbed. I didn't get much sleep that con...
Yeah, I can see that happening...
Quote:
And, later, when I decided I was an anime fan, I remembered Saturday morning cinema, in the 1960s, which us kids got dumped at. Something called "Alakazam" or some such, a strangely colourful cartoon about a monkey and a priest on a trip from China to India. Never saw anything like it again until the Eastercon.
Would this be the show you're thinking of? Looks like the dub had a hell of a cast -- how many cartoons can boast both Frankie Avalon and Jonathon Winters? Oh, and read the viewer review on the main page, it's rather -- interesting. (With a title like "Like Mr. Hand said, 'Am I *hallucinating* here?'", you might suspect the writer has strong feelings on the subject.) What's really surprising is that it shares the same source material as Dragonball...
I had my share of childhood anime exposure, myself, as I recounted in another thread here. Speed Racer, Astroboy, Gigantor, 8th Man -- all the usual stuff for someone my age. Of course, I had no idea it was Japanese in origin, nor did I know what anime was at the time. That had to wait until later, when Helen shoved Ranma 1/2 in my face, and I discovered I loved it. (Oddly enough, I had heard about Ranma a few years before -- my best guess at this late date is that it was before the anime had even been made -- and I thought it sounded way too freaky for me to possibly like it. Shows what I know. )
Quote:
So, maybe I have been an anime fan rather longer than I thought I had! [grin] Most of us have.
Quote:
As for future bits, I suspect you will keep us ente

I certainly hope I will! If I don't, it'll mean I've made a serious wrong turn on my path as a writer.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
I had my share of childhood anime exposure, myself, as I recounted in another thread here. Speed Racer, Astroboy, Gigantor, 8th Man -- all the usual stuff for someone my age.
Same here... while I didn't get Astroboy or 8th Man, I did get Kimba, the white Lion..."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
I didn't actually get that much Astroboy -- or I don't remember much, I can't tell which at this late date. And I've never seen Kimba.

-- Bob
---------
Would this be the show you're thinking of? Looks like the dub had a hell of a cast -- how many cartoons can boast both Frankie Avalon and Jonathon Winters?
= = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Actually, what caught my eye was Sterling Holloway. For those not recognizing the name, he was the voice of Winnie the Pooh.
Ooh, I missed that.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Actually, what caught my eye was Sterling Holloway. For those not recognizing the name, he was the voice of Winnie the Pooh.
Perhaps for you, but for me it will always be Norman Shelley, aka The Voice of Winston Churchill. Of course, I doubt many people on this side of the pond have heard it, but I still have the records (even if they are scratched to hell Sad ).
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
> Would this be the show you're thinking of? Looks like the dub had a hell of a cast -- how many
> cartoons can boast both Frankie Avalon and Jonathon Winters? Oh, and read the viewer review on
> the main page, it's rather -- interesting. (With a title like "Like Mr. Hand said, 'Am I *hallucinating*
> here?'", you might suspect the writer has strong feelings on the subject.) What's really surprising
> is that it shares the same source material as Dragonball...
Yes! That is the first time I have seen any online (or offline) reference to it! Thanks!
I _think_ the title was "Alakazam the Great"...
I was also a fan of "Monkey", from the same roots, live action, when that appeared in the UK.
Apart from Alakazam, that was the only anime that I ever saw in general media, until the 1990s, and generally anime does not seem to have got to Britain until the late 1990s, unlike the US and Europe, and then mostly via Cartoon Network, and SciFi cable channel (Britain only got cabled in the mid to late 1990s).
Means we are culturally deprived (not depraved, as I might have suggested on occasion! [grin]).
Mention anything Japanese to some, and you still get comments about WWII... I have been known to make comments about the British Empire and the Opium Wars...

Still, that's getting far too gloomy!
Without the accident at the SF con, I think it unlikely I would have realised that I was an anime fan, until much later.
--
Quote:
Yes! That is the first time I have seen any online (or offline) reference to it! Thanks!
It's probably not the only place -- a half hour or less with Google would probably find everything you'd ever want.
Quote:
I _think_ the title was "Alakazam the Great"...
Well, if you go down lower on the page, to just before the user comments, you'll find this:
Quote:
Also Known As:
Alakazam the Great (1961) (USA)
Enchanted Monkey, The (1960) (International: literal title English title)
Magic Land of Alakazam, The (1961) (USA)
Anyway, no matter how you came to anime, and no matter how you came to DW, welcome!
-- Bob
---------