Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Play Sakura Wars!
Let's Play Sakura Wars!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showth ... id=2564759 (most likely NSFW)

In the same vein as Shadowjack's "[Where I Watch] Sailor Moon", a blow-by-blow playthrough of the 2003 PS2 remake of the first Sakura Wars game. Spirit Armor, the guy playing this game, goes above and beyond the call of duty, not only interjecting some awesome humor into the proceedings but also translating all the text in the game himself. The guy's been trucking along for the better part of two years and hasn't yet finished the game, but he's promised that he'll be doing the entire series (which could, uh, take a while).

WITNESS
...Ichiro Ogami evolve from an incompetent ticket-taker into a HOT-BLOODED emasculated incompetent ticket-taker!
...Kanna attempt to solve all her problems with precise applications of violence!
...Iris as she turns into elder being of terrifying power!
...Maria's brutally emasculate Ogami again, and again, and again, and again...
...the terror that is the mad scientist Kohran!
...Sakura stalk display overt amounts of affection towards her commander!
...Sumire... stay the same, really.

If you liked Shadowjack's posts, you'll like this. It's quite long, and occasionally pictures are missing from posts, but it's well worth the read.

Oh wow... This will be useful! (^_-)

Frogdamnit, I want the complete English version of the game! Now!
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I wish there was a way to read somethingawful without the bedamned account. You can't page through threads w/out one.

Umm, I'm able to go through them fine and I don't have one. Or is it something else that you're referring too? And anyways, the first post provides links to all the relevant posts within the thread.
Quote:Frogdamnit, I want the complete English version of the game! Now!
We can only hope, although there is a ray of light: Sakura Wars V recently got a domestic (US) release which is exceptionally well produced. I've been playing it for the past week or so on-and-off. English voice acting ranges from good to passable, except for one character whose voice made me switch to the Japanese disc.

Quote:Or is it something else that you're referring too?

Well, for me it was the goddamned swear filter; I finally ended up buying an account just so I could read threads without having to translate everything.
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"

I got used to the swear filtering pretty quickly. To a certain extent, I found it funnier that way. I managed to get it to change without a username by using this userscript.

You can read active threads without an account, but any thread that is inactive is unavaliable to you.
This is why http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/ is such a wonderful site.
I especially recommend anything by TheDarkId. His Let's Plays of the Resident Evil game series are hilarious (you should start with four and work your way backword). And watching the complete playthrough of Kaizo World is always good for a laugh every now and then.
------------------
Epsilon

Yeah, I go through the archive. It just bugs me because they're so slow taking inactive threads to the archive.

Check out the Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Icewind Dale 2 (this one's HILARIOUS), Shadows over Riva...

Any screenshot LP where the guy does it in character is golden.

I probably should have a look seeing that I've got Sakura Taisen 2 and have looking on and off for translation assistance as all I can find is half the game & it is not clear. Same with walkthroughs. I think've mentioned it some time ago but, if you've got a PSP both Sakura Taisen 1 & 2 are available for it on one UMD *gets wikiwalked/sidetracked* huh, I didn't know DOA Beach Volleyball got a PSP port.....

Correction I have both (on PSP) and have finished the first, it's just the second which needs the translation/walkthrough assistance.

--Rod.H

Getting away from meta/tech discussion, I just want to say that I'm still reading this -- I'm barely to the first sortie of the Hanagumi -- and I've been laughing my butt off. This is great stuff.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:Getting away from meta/tech discussion, I just want to say that I'm still reading this -- I'm barely to the first sortie of the Hanagumi -- and I've been laughing my butt off. This is great stuff.
The 'getting dressed' sequence is one of my favorite memories of reading this LP. *Makes a mental note to read it again at some point*
Man, this LP has been going on so long that I can re-read parts and get surprised.