Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a EE in the house?

It's sitting on top of 'chili' flavor, we've not generated the courage yet..
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Wiredgeek Wrote:It's sitting on top of 'chili' flavor, we've not generated the courage yet..
Oooh! Oooh!  ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!ME!

I've been aware of the 'chili' one for awhile. It makes buying chocolate interesting as you can't grab handfulls of blocks at random. You must do it one at a time just in case someone's played with the display. Or else you might end up with chili, mint, dark v.dark, cherry etc.....

Wiredgeek Wrote:It's sitting on top of 'chili' flavor, we've not generated the courage yet..

Chili and chocolate are awesome together. It works best with a chocolate with more than 65% cacao, althought that might be just me.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

*nods* There's a family owned chocolate shop in Ottawa called Stubbes, and in addition to making amazing truffles they also make 'homemade' chocolate bars[0], among which is a red pepper and dark chocolate one.  It is IIRC ~80% cacao, and even so, you eat it in small chunks.  I'd patronize them more often but as a student even thinking about it makes my budget weep bitter tears.
[0]  I defy you to find commercial bars that use whole hazelnuts, almonds or identifiable fruit chunks.  And a substrate that isn't milk chocolate.
--
 "Having major planets disappear is always a bad sign."  - Jim Blinn

Say, Firvulag? Does Stubbes do shipment orders? (^_^Wink

Looking at their webpage it does not appear that they do.  I could visit and ask to make certain, it's not like the Market is that out of the way on my commute to Carleton.
--
See, the trick in Avalon (over) analysis is to not predict future
events, but to instead cleverly justify those events you most wish to
see.

That's okay. If their webpage has no online retail support, then they probably don't ship anything out.

*casts revive*
Well, I'm still playing with this darn amp. The fact that it's been sitting in front of me for months on the breadboard's been irking me. So much that I've finally decided to get a custom PCB made as seen by here -> http://www.batchpcb.com/index.php/Products/41254 & I've requested 2. Oddly I'm not certain about the holes. Meh, I'll worry 'bout that once they turn up, of cause once they do turn up I'll probably find out that a local electronics shop all ready has one, and one does, just not in stereo form. I may 'ave gone a bit overboard on the ground plane too.

--Rod.H
Ad-hoc EE since the UF-core 1 was released by EPU

As long as we're reviving the thread... I have reason to be in the Byward Market next Thursday, so somebody please remind me after Labour Day to check whether Stubbes has a mail-order service.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

And my boards finally arrived today. I'd ordered two and got four. I've even quickly added components to one and tested it.
[Image: 6d336ed614dc99ad0fa77d9adfd5ba3666a5ff75.jpg]
Works nice, just a minor bit of tweaking to go and I'll put it in an enclosure. Probably decorated with one of http://www.hlj.com/product/AOS07804]these.

Can I get some help from someone who knows their numbers intimately enough when it comes to electricity?

I'm trying to settle a debate on a (fictional subject that was created with some rather quiestionable science).

Specifically, can anyone provide -- IN MATCHING UNITS -- the energy available from:

1) A 100%-efficient, all-wavelength solar collector at 10 AU radius from SOL, with a sail radius of 1km

2) Same, with a sail radius of 50km,

3) Fusion of 1kg Hydrogen

Thanks
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

For !: Solar Intensity is 1.366 KW/m^2 at 1AU. At 10AU, it'd be 1/100th of that (1/10^2) or 0.01366KW/m^2. The power available is given by P=I*A*cos(theta) where theta is the amount you're off from normal. If you're perfectly perpendicular, the numbers run out to be (0.01366KW/m^2)*(1000m^2*pi)=42914.15565KW. This is, of course, assuming there is nothing in between then sun and the collector, which in reality there are 7-8 planets (mercury through jupiter, saturn occasionally). If you want to take that into account, you'd need Kepler's Laws and Orbital Motion. Which I don't want to do. For 2: it's the same principle, upping the area. 107285389.1KW.

Will need more research for hydrogen fusion, but you can use the mass-energy equivalence of 1kg= (approx) 8.98755e16J for a rough estimate.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Thanks so far, Ankh.

A lack of obstacles is a given; the object is outside the plane of the ecliptic by a significant margin.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Need more Info for Hydrogen! Is this just 1Kg of hydrogen, deuterium (H-2), tritium (H-3), or a mix of some/all? Best return is Deuterium+Tritium = Helium.

Easiest way to work it out 1Kg of Deuterium and 1Kg of tritium. If you have a mix, how much of each?

If you have a mix of all three, it could be messy.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

Please keep in mind, any and all of this could be wrong, but here goes.
Using Ankh's numbers as gospel, since I don't have the chops to second-guess them, we have 42914KW, 107285389KW, and 89875500000000000J.
The problem with this, at least in making an apples-apples comparison, is that while the KW numbers are a measurement of the generation capacity of the device, the Joules number is a stored-energy capacity, which will run down over x period.
My rough numbers state that if we match the lower solar power budget, we end up with our kilogram of physics-experiment hydrogen being able to power our device for 581754 hours = 24239 days = 66.41 years. Matching the larger solar sail makes a mere 232 hours = 9.7 days = .03 years

Please keep in mind that this is Spherical Cow of Uniform Density territory - when writing, remember that the only laws you must obey are Thermodynamics.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Hm.

Jump-sail vs fusion power charging of Kearny-Fuchida drives, yes?
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Valles is correct.

Add to the givens the following: The solar collector operates for 175 hours. An equivalent amount of energy would be required to be provided by the fusion reaction. How much Hydrogen would be required in order to accomplish this goal?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I have the fusion numbers, I just need to crunch them. Yukku ate my last post that had it all done up nice.

You can work it out yourself, if you want. These are for one particle each. I'll get to it this evening.

Deuterium (D, H-2), Tritium (T, H-3). 1eV=1.602177e-19 J

D+T=alpha+neutron+17.59 MeV (Mega-electronvolts)

D+D=T+proton+4.04MeV (~50%), He-3+neutron+3.27MeV (~50%), alpha+gamma+23.85MeV (
---

And if they were using Protium-Protium fusion? The text references the fuel as being derived from plain old water. The deuterium level in there is going to be kinda low.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

The p-p reaction is a lot harder to get to occur, by about 25 orders of magnitude, than D-T fusion. p-D is more likely than p-p, but still much much less than D-T. Both p-p and p-D have much less energy yield than the D-T reaction (1.44 MeV and 5.49 MeV, respectively).

You can produce Deuterium via the Girdler Sulfide process to 15-20%, and then vacuum distillation onward. The Bruce Heavy Water plant was largest until 97, and pumped out 700 tonnes a year at a rate of 340,000:1

I can punch out either for you, or both. Just let me know what to do.
---

And wouldn't ya know it pretty much just as I've got my amp functional and installed into a enclosure, Plantronics have released a headset range that's xbox compatible, I picked up the X40 pretty much the day after they streeted from my local Chinese run computer shop/wholesailer and they do the job, perfectly.

Now I can scream back at that darn annoying 9-12 year old in Halo:reach MP.