Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beam me up, Fred!!!
Beam me up, Fred!!!
There's too much intelligent life down here!!!
I'm the second non pre-reader, non MIB to sign up.
I'm also the one who writes another universe hopping fic. When Bob first started posting DW-2 to the FFML I panicked. It seems that he and I came up with similar ideas at just about the same time. The two leading charecters both even started out as V&V charecters.
Of course, my only concern now adays is that DW is so much better known (and more than a touch better written, thank's to Bob's professional writing experiances) that some people might think I ripped his idea off.
Not that my own following believes that... its just that the following of my story is smaller than Bob's; in fact, I've noticed that the folks who do read my stuff also read Bob's, and a lot are also Rabid Crack Weasels in good standing as well."I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
Re: Beam me up, Fred!!!
>The two leading charecters both even started out as V&V charecters.
Oh, I didn't know that! Cool.
> Of course, my only concern now adays is that DW is so much better
> known (and more than a touch better written, thank's to Bob's
> professional writing experiances)
I wonder how many people I surprised at AXNY when I rattled off my writing qualifications. I didn't even mention that I was a creative writing major at Princeton (class of '84 for those who are counting, yes, I knew Brooke Shields, no, I didn't know David Duchovny, and Dean Cain was after my time). I still find it odd myself that I started writing fanfiction after I joined the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America...
> that some people might think I ripped
> his idea off.
Well, in that case, I ripped off Twister and Ed Becerra (hi, Ed! You out there reading this yet?). Don't worry about it at all.
Actually, you bringing that up reminds me of a fic that came out just before I put out the first installment of DW2 -- somebody dropped his Champions character into BGC -- some goon with a battlesuit and gravity powers. It was awful. And I sat there looking at it and saying to myself, "this stinks, and people are going to accuse me of copying it." But of course, no one did.
Thank god.
One reason Doug's arrival is structured the way it is, by the way, is because of this old fic. The insert character literally dropped into the middle of a Sabers-boomers fight, helped them kick ass, and got automatic acceptance as a friend by the Sabers. Then he said to them (and I remember this word-for-word), "You guys got gravity tech? No? You want some?"
And I just sat there with my head in my hands, moaning "no, no, no, that's not how you do it."
I really have to find that fic again. I wonder if I kept a copy in my archives.
Anyway, time to stop my sleep-deprived ramblings. Welcome to the forum, Star Ranger 4 -- and I gotta figure out what you did to get the cool little animated icon by your name. Almost certainly an option I've overlooked...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
I picked it off the list. You go to your control panel (Personal account, not for the board) and edit preferances... it will be in the left hand column about "Show a personal Icon" and I just chose one from EZ-Board's list.
I'd already signed up for EZ a while ago. A couple of other sites I frequent use them (Not Fanfiction related)"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
> I've noticed that the folks who do read my stuff also read
> Bob's, and a lot are also Rabid Crack Weasels in good
> standing as well.
YO!"I pick you up by the throat.""I'm twice your height right now, you can't reach... Damn, you did!"- Excerpt from a Werewolf LARP
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
I'd like to say something about perceptive people spotting quality work, but I suspect it would be viewed as excessively self-congratulatory.
BTW, heya, Drakensis, and welcome to the forums!

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.