Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Music] Ow...my brain hurts...
[Music] Ow...my brain hurts...
So I've been recently tooling around with my music software, mostly trying to get a feel for composing and mixing drum beats as an on-again, off-again project. Not too long ago this one particular rhythm got stuck in my head until I had no choice but to program it out. So I pull up Reason, drop in a drum machine and manually sequence the kick drum leaving everything else out for the time being. Now, the sequence grid defaults to 4/4 and after finishing the beat I realize that it doesn't line up with the grids. At all.

"The hell?" I thought. I'd been pretty sure that it wasn't in too weird a beat, but then I shrugged. The sequencer has a box to input the time signature for a given piece, so I navigated to that and tried 3/4.

Not even close.

7/8?

Closer, but still off by a bit.

5/8?

Way off.

2/3?

Uh-uh.

After several attempts with more and more esoteric and odd time signatures, the closest one that I had of the bunch was 7/8, so I pulled that back up and stared at the grid lines for a minute. On a lark, I doubled the numerator and that got me real close. After a little bit a fiddling I finally got to the true time signature of the piece.

15/8.

I believe my exact reaction was "Abuhwuhhuh?" and then I got a headache from trying to think about it too much.

That's not really all that weird. Exotic, maybe. I'm pretty sure that there are some musicians working in electronica that have weirder.

Oh, that 15/8 can be written as 5/4 with triplets if that helps you any.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

It was more the surprise than anything that got me. Even after years of being a musician, time signatures are still something I grapple with and never consciously think about whenever I play. So to see something I program out come as, what is to me, a really, really odd time signature was a bit of a shock to the head.

5/4 with triplets, huh? I'll take a look, thanks!