Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jupiter loses one of its stripes and scientists are stumped as to why.
Jupiter loses one of its stripes and scientists are stumped as to why.
O... kay...
Quote:The largest planet in our solar system is usually dominated by two dark bands in its atmosphere, with one in the northern hemisphere and one in the southern hemisphere.

However, the most recent images taken by amateur astronomers have revealed the lower stripe known as the Southern Equatorial Belt has disappeared leaving the southern half of the planet looking unusually bare.

The band was present in at the end of last year before Jupiter ducked behind the Sun on its orbit. However, when it emerged three months later the belt had disappeared.

Well, they say that it loses or gains a ring every now and then, so it's not an unknown phenomenon.

Holy crap the comments.

I blame Carmen Sandiego. 8P
I can only imagine how the 2012 end-of-days-apocalyptic nutjobs, douche-bags and other assorted heads-of-knuckle are taking this.

You really expect them to play attention to real astronomy?
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:You really expect them to play attention to real astronomy?

Only when it supports their theories. Just like Creationists.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

I'm just waiting for the inevitable fanart of Makoto being teased by the other Senshi as she desperatly tries to conceal the parts no longer covered by her "lower stripe".
-------------------
Epsilon

o.o

Let's just hope it's only on her sailor suit.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Oddly enough, I don't think anyone's mentioned it over in Shadowjack's current thread. Lord knows, there's plenty of opportunity to do art over there

[Image: 6bf36ddc1d2c96930d75576c361a9b3f8152885f.gif]Jeanne Hedge
www.jhedge.com

"Believe me, if I have to go the rest of my life without companionship, knowing myself won't be a problem."
-- Gabrielle of Potadeia

Someone who has an account on that forum should post a link there.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.