Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie homages/shout-outs/references in anime
Movie homages/shout-outs/references in anime
This came up on Usenet, and I thought folks here might have some references we've missed there. Which anime make reference to Hollywood movies?

The list so far:
  • A Certain Scientific Railgun: In one episode, the cast is shown on the moon, with a Monolith and a one character has a bone in her hand to a portion of the theme music from "2001".
  • Himitsu no Akko-chan: Episode 88's closing credits reference "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Superman", "Beverly Hills Cop", "Star Wars", "Gone With the Wind", "ET", "The Karate Kid", "Back to the Future", "Aliens", and other movies.
  • Cowboy Bebop - Knocking on Heaven's Door: Jet and his contact watch "Shane"
  • Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi: far too many to list, including but not limited to the "Hollywood" episode
  • Urusei Yatsura: One episode featured a lampoon clip of a scene from "Gone With The Wind", starring Mendo Shutaro as Rhett Butler. The episode "And Then There Was Nobody" was a pastiche/lampoon of "And Then There Were None". Movie 2, "Beautiful Dreamer", lampoons the 1931 "Frankenstein". In "Lum's movie of youth", Ataru in a fancy suit runs away from an old propeller plane, a reference to Hitchcock's "North by Northwest".
  • Kimagure Orange Road: ep.11, "Don't ring the wedding bells!", has a homage to "The Graduate".
  • Aria: episode 7, president Aria and president Hime give us a very brief reenactment of a scene from "Titanic".
  • Riding Bean: The big chase scene is a homage to the big chase scene in "The Blues Brothers". The scene where the chase under the El is happening is an homage to "The French Connection".
  • Bubblegum Crisis: Pris(s) and the Replicants is a shout-out to "Blade Runner".
  • Minky Momo: In the episode where she turns into a secret spy, there is a gun barrel sequence similar to the shown in James Bond films.
  • Dirty Pair - Project Eden: The opening is essentially a James Bond movie opening.
  • DiGi Charat ~nyo: one episode has a Bond sequence.
Any more? (The exact question was "What other shows have these types of references in them and to what movies do they reference?")
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Is the Dai-Con Opening animation too much?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Nerima Daikon Brothers is basically "Blues Brothers the anime"
---------------
Epsilon

One episode of Excel Saga rapidly slides through multiple animation styles, including Disney and The Simpsons.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I think I'll take the easy one. FLCL (and a lot of other anime) include homages to the bullet time effect in The Matrix.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

PaniPoni Dash! has a lot of Hollywood references, more anime ones, but a lot of Hollywood movies too
There is no coincidence, only necessity....
- Clow Reed

Thanks. I've copied all of those to the Usenet thread. (No new replies on Usenet yet... but the weekend's coming up.)

Keep them coming, please...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Shepherd Wrote:I think I'll take the easy one. FLCL (and a lot of other anime) include homages to the bullet time effect in The Matrix.
To say nothing of references to "South Park," "Lupin the 3rd," and several other animated series.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."