Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not complaining, but certainly mystified....
Not complaining, but certainly mystified....
It's hot and muggy here in lower Michigan -- 88 Fahrenheit according to one source -- and stepping out my door feels almost literally like walking into a sauna. Yet here in my apartment, although the air conditioner is not, I say again, not running, the temperature is in the low seventies (which is why it's not running). As I say, I'm not complaining, but I am perplexed.
The only notion that seems to make sense is that cool air from my upstairs neighbors' a.c. is leaking down here.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

What is the color of the exterior walls of your apartment?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

Since hot air rises and cool air sinks, you may be right.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

I have a suspicion, but I need to know something. What part of the building is your apartment in? And specify the floor also.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

It's witchcraft. Consult your local Malleus Malificarum or, failing that, a demonologist.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

Alternately, make sure your fridge door is closed...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

The exterior walls are red brick -- light red, almost orange-pink. I'm inclined to agree about the cool air sinking -- it's just that I don't recall the temperature difference ever being so pronounced before, and I've lived here five years now. I'm on the ground floor, at the eastern end of the building, with an alley between me and the next building to the east; my north and south (a.k.a. rear and front) walls both have windows, but the east wall doesn't.
Witchcraft, right; all I need is the Ordo Hereticus looking into my affairs. Besides, whatever caused it, I don't want it to stop!
-----

Well, you're on the eastern end of the building, so being in the shade might have helped somewhat, and I think a significant portion of the heat later on in the day was from the humidity building up to that massinve storm last night, so as long as the windows weren't open, that could have played a part. Also, the alley itself could have helped to some extent, as the hot air would have risen, making a breeze as air from outside the alley moved past your apartment into the lower presssure zone created in the alley.

However, I think a far more likely explanation is that the the previous occupant of your apartment was a witch, so you can consider yourself lucky. Also, look around for any spellbooks that might have been left behind.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Ok, my turn... Eastern wall only get morning exposure to sunlight. (Next door building plays a contributing factor)

Jorlem also has the right idea of humidity factor. Do you run a dehumidifier? or do you have central air?

Last factor. From your windows/porch can you see A/C units going up the side of the building? If so, can you tell if any of them are running? (Dripping water is a tell-tale)
_____

Being on the east side, specially during the summer has a lot to do with it. Less exposure to sunlight.Your exterior walls being brick is also a factor. Bricks are great insulators. If there are any trees nearby, that would also be contributing factor. Figure it lowers the temperature down to about 5 degrees around.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I don't need to look for dripping sweat ... the a.c. intake for my upstairs neighbor is on the ground just outside my study window, and without even a glance I can hear it running as I type this. Yes, trees, exposure to sunlight, and the insulating factor of brick, groovy, but what's puzzled me is that the trees and brick have been here the whole five years I've lived in this building, and while they've certainly helped, I don't recall them ever helping this much before.
The only thing that I know has changed is who lives above me ... and for this much coolness to seep down from their place, I'd think it must be really cold up there. It means I'm really saving on cooling bills, but I wonder why they want to keep their apartment so chilly.
-----

Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Just expect the local CSI to come knocking on the door to ask questions about the perfectly preserved crime scene...upstairs...
_____

Either that or you've got a Yuki-Onna living upstairs. Wouldn't that be... Cool?