Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job Hunt Thread, Incarnation The Third
Job Hunt Thread, Incarnation The Third
Since I just declared the second one closed, I figured I might as well open up the new one.  And I'll do so with this somewhat melancholy observation:
I have noticed in the last few weeks that I am getting more "thank you but we're not going to pursue your application further" letters and emails than I did earlier in my job hunt.  For the sake of my own peace of mind, I'm going to interpret this as meaning I'm doing something better than I did at first... just not good enough for most employers.  In other words, I'm ranking high enough to get a response instead of having my application discarded without a word...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Bob, don't get too down.  Someone has told me this at the beginning: Your job is to get a job.  I've had my down days and frustration days. so much so I felt like Don Quixote at times. What kept me going was the support of people  (here in this forum), my family and friends. I was about to suggest you name this thread "To go where the brave there not go". There are two things that kept me going:
1. As one counselor at the VA told me. "If you think you got it bad, come see the guys over at Rehab. They have it much worse than you."
2. I got other things on-going like my volunteer job at the VA.  I'd recommend that Bob.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I've been thinking about doing some volunteering, if only to flesh out my resume for this increasingly-long period of unemployment, but I haven't the first idea where to look for someplace that could use my skills.
-- Bob
---------

Well finished the interview for OSHA Toledo Ohio. I think I did well, but I think it's going to be on the low end of positions if offered. Got the OSHA Appleton, Wisconsin next tomorrow.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Try local not-for-profits. They know better than to turn down free help. And it can occasionally be wangled into a for-pay position.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:I've been thinking about doing some volunteering, if only to flesh out my resume for this increasingly-long period of unemployment, but I haven't the first idea where to look for someplace that could use my skills.
Ask the local soup kitchen whether they need any computer work done. If they don't, they may know somebody who does.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

What about Temp Agencies?
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

I'd recommend the local Veterans Hospital, if you are interested. Every VA hospital has an organized volunteer program. You don't have to be a veteran to join. You call also look at the various churches or schools also. There's plenty of work...just not paid.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

All good ideas. Thanks.
-- Bob
---------
Not volunteering per se
Hey Bob.
Take an hour, hell, schedule an hour every day.
Write.
You have the skills, the talent and the experience to crack out an awesome first novel.
Cheers,
Shayne

Actually, I spent the entire afternoon with Helen brainstorming on DW13. I'm having a little trouble motivating myself otherwise, but believe me, writing is one of the things I'm trying to make sure I do.
-- Bob
---------

It doesn't even need to be a novel, as long as you're writing something. (I do believe you and Steve Jackson have an agreement regarding GURPS IST for 4e...?)
--
Rob Kelk

That we do. This means, however, that I have to finally sit down and really learn 4e. Back when it came out, I tried to do as I did in the 80s and scarf the game down whole, but it didn't work the way it used to.
-- Bob
---------

While you're learning GURPS 4e, you can write the flavour text and the background bits (such as the timeline), no?
--
Rob Kelk

Job Status
Status (4th week of June)

Total Applications:172 Applications passed HR screening
1- IH Position @ Marine Corps
1-IH Position @ Navy
5- Enviromental Protection slots�@Army
1 IH position @ Air Force
1- IH slot @ CDC/NIOSH
2-FCIP slots @ VA
1 job application @ Los Angeles County
4(or5 depending on how you look at it) FCIP slots @ EPA
9 positions @ OSHA
Total: 25/26

Interviews pending:

Interviews done:
1- interview from Los Angeles County-not selected
1- interview from VA (Minneapolis)*
1- interview from EPA (Washington D.C) - position cancelled
1- interview from EPA (Philadelphia)
1- interview from CDC/NIOSH - not selected

1- position at OSHA (San Antonio, Texas)*

1- position at OSHA (Birmingham, Alabama)*

1- position at OSHA (Toledo, Ohio)

1- position at OSHA (Appleton, Wisconsin)

Legend: * - references checked

The OSHA folks at Appleton and Birmingham asked me how soon can I start so that is a good thing (at least I hope so). Figure 6 weeks before I get an answer back. So on that note...
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

The word is...no word. Arrgh! I called the Minneapolis position and the HR rep said he still hasn't gotten word from the hiring authorities about slot #2. Well, the jobs would be in the last 2 weeks of July are coming up.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

So Peggy and I are driving to New Hope, PA this afternoon to have a belated 20th anniv celebration by walking the town and hitting the shops, and then having dinner at our favorite little al fresco restaurant. And we're about 1/3 of the way there when I get a call on my cellphone -- it's a hiring guy from a company I applied to at the beginning of the week. I ended up having a first interview through about half the drive...
-- Bob
---------

Telecommuting - ain't it great?
--
Rob Kelk

Were you driving? And had the good sense to pull over if you didn't? Or least..was Peggy driving? I found it hard to both answer questions and drive at the same time. Kinda like asking me to talk and chew gum and walk while rubbing my stomach counterclockwise with my right hand.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

I was driving, and no, I didn't have any problems answering questions.
-- Bob
---------

I should note that the news out of Congress yesterday morning threw me into a tailspin. With the suspension of extended unemployment benefits, we now have only Peg's income to live off of, and more half of that goes to our mortgage. The rest goes into savings, true, and there's a fair amount there -- enough to carry us through several more months if we did nothing else with it. However, we have several home repairs that need immediate attention that will need to be paid from those funds. We have family that we might be able to draw upon for some help, but we really don't want to.

Understandably, I'm not in the best emotional place right now. Last night's excursion was both necessary and a good distraction, but I can't help end up worrying about costs afterward.
-- Bob
---------
Extension of benefits among other things
Bob, you may want to confirm with the EDD in your state on how many weeks you have on the clock. IIRC, you have a maximum of 99 weeks of unemployment insurance which is paid by the Federal government, then the states have to either foot the tab or cut you loose.
I'm trying to recall that quote by Samuel Johnson where your mind sharpens on the way to the gallows and this situation definitely is that. It may come down to taking any job that comes along rather than the job you want. Because it beats working at McDonalds or WalMart. Just remember you're in the same boat as a lot of people (including yours truly) and better off than a lot of folks also. Those who have already at 99 weeks and were praying for an extension are going to be bitten hard by this.
On that note a letter arrived from VA Milwaukee stating the position I applied for has been canceled or no selection has been made - rats. Well, I kinda figured that already so on to mid-July.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

"Depend upon it, sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully." (According to Bartlett's Familiar Quotations)
But Johnson's not the best person to quote on this forum, because he also said, "No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

I'm going to have to call the NJ Dept of Labor on Monday, because the website is not very helpful -- although it does give me hope when read one possible way:
Quote:The deadline for qualifying for the federally-funded EUC Tier 1 extension was May 23, 2010. If you are already collecting on one of the EUC Tiers, in order to qualify for the next tier of benefits, you must exhaust your current tier with week ending May 29, 2010. Proposed legislation to extend the filing deadline is currently being addressed by the U.S. Senate. If this bill is approved, it would only extend the dates of the eligibility periods in the current EUC benefit tiers. It does not add any weeks of benefits. If you have a remaining balance on your current EUC Tier, continue to claim your weekly benefits. We will notify you if the U.S. Senate extends the eligibility periods of the current EUC benefit tiers.
Italics mine -- I definitely have a balance left on my current tier, and this seems to imply that this balance will be continued to be paid. But I need to confirm that this is in fact the case.
-- Bob
---------

I believe there are 4 tiers of 24 weeks.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell