Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ceremony to Honor B-29 Crews in Japan
Ceremony to Honor B-29 Crews in Japan
If you never heard about it, during one of the many air-raids on Japan, two B-29 Superforts collided and crashed in Shizuoka City.  Survivors of the air raid were able to rescue two crewmen from the wreckage, but they later died of their wounds.  Out of respect for the airmen, the two were given proper burials.
But it doesn't end there.
One of the rescuers, a man named Fukimatsu Ito, found a scorched canteen among the wreckage that held not water, but bourbon. Later, after the war, he erected a memorial for the Japanese and Americans that lost their lives on that day, and since then a joint ceremony between Japanese and Americans takes place where American bourbon is poured over the memorial tablet for the bomber crews.
Just another reason why I think the Japanese are so awesome.
Link to an article: http://www.yokota.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123155404
Note to Bob: if this somehow becomes inflammatory, then please move it over into Politics, please.

Can't see why it would, but noted.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

In 2001, my unit went on a "staff ride" to Omaha Beach -- exploring our divisional history, since we were part of the Big Red One -- and on the way back through France stopped at several memorials to U.S. troops from the First World War.  The historian we'd engaged for the tour explained that even though the area had been held by the Germans through most of World War II, for the most part they'd scrupulously avoided damaging the monuments -- some of which are big; one I particularly recall is an engraved wall/map of the battle that I think must've been at least five meters high, on a hill above the cemetery.  That's right; even the Nazis were overruled by those Germans who respected our memorials -- big, vaunting memorials -- in the territory they'd conquered.  So the decency described in this Japanese situation, while pleasing, is not entirely shocking.
Edit: overestimated the height; memory playing tricks.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.

Speaking of WWI. The fighter pilots often behaved with what in an earlier time would have been called knightly chivalry and respect.

The Red Baron himself actually spared a pilot he had downed. As the
Allied pilot was landing his plane in a field, dying engine smoking, Richthofen
merely flew past, waggling his wings in salute.

Later, when Manfred Von Richthofen was shot down and killed, his plane landed in Allied territory. The Allies honored him with a full military funeral.

Quote:In common with most Allied air officers, Major Blake, who was responsible for Richthofen's remains, regarded the Red Baron with great respect, and he organised a full military funeral, to be conducted by the personnel of No. 3 Squadron AFC.

Richthofen was buried in the cemetery at the village of Bertangles, near Amiens, on 22 April 1918. Six airmen with the rank of Captain—the same rank as Richthofen—served as pallbearers, and a guard of honour from the squadron's other ranks fired a salute. Allied squadrons stationed nearby presented memorial wreaths, one of which was inscribed with the words, "To Our Gallant and Worthy Foe."