Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Legend of Zelda Timeline
Legend of Zelda Timeline
Someone has far, far too much time on their hands.  Link.
Not just the timeline deciphering, that's fairly normal LOZ fan geekery.  I've indulged in the same.  But taking the time to arrange all the notes so it looks like a blackboard?  I'm not sure whether to be scared or impressed.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

(O_o) Okay, what's with all the plus and minus signs?

As far as I can judge, + means "these games involve the same Link" and - (a hyphen, not a minus sign - that's assuming it isn't an underscore) means "these games involve two different Links". Derived from this is the fact that games joined with a + take place in close succession, whereas games joined with a - tend to be considerably farther apart in time.

As far as "arranging all the notes" goes, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this actually did get written out on a blackboard and we're looking at a photograph. If for no other reason than that I don't think I've seen an image-program brush tool which is capable of looking that much (and, importantly, that inconsistently) like chalk marks.

I can't speak to the meaning of the timeline, having only rudimentary knowledge of Zelda, but I can say the letters and spacing and alignment are too regular and precise to be an actual person's writing (Even the marks appear in the same place on the letter). It is rather impressive feat of collecting the series though.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

I thought that too at first, but take a closer look at the letters. All the 'O's, for example, are exactly alike, as are all the 'M's. I've never seen anyone able to write that regularly on paper, let alone on a chalkboard.
Edit: Ninja'd.  I wish there was a way to view seconds on the timestamp.
-----
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Oh, it's a font for certain, probably parsed through something like Photoshop which undoubtedly has a tool powerful enough to make it look like an actual chalk marking.

On the subject of the timeline itself, we either need an explanation from the author, or a subject matter expert on everything Zelda.

Seems obvious to me that the pluses indicate games with the same Link and the hyphens are for timeline gaps.  All appears to work out, too.
--Sam
"It's dangerous to go alone.  Take this!"

I think he was asking for Acronym expansion

TWW = The Wind Waker/Walker

TLOZ = The (original) Legend of Zelda

OOT= Ocarina of Time

MM = Majora's Mask

TP = Twilight Princess

but some of the Game Boy/Advance/DS titles are Opaque to me
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

PH = Phantom Hourglass
ST = Spirit Tracks
TMC = The Minish Cap
FS = Four Swords
FSA = Four Swords Adventures
OOS = Oracle of Seasons
OOA = Oracle of Ages
LA = Link's Awakening
TAOL = The Adventure of Link
--Sam
"Dodongo dislikes smoke."

...does it say something about me that the possibility of people not being able to figure out the abbreviations didn't even begin to occur to me?

It would say something similar about me, so...
-----

*clicks the link* whoa... thats pretty awesome.

still won't stop the fnadom form arguing over the time line, but still awesome Smile