Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeepDiscount Anime Sale
DeepDiscount Anime Sale
As you've probably guessed from the title, DeepDiscount.com is having an anime sale.  Here's a link.  There doesn't seem to be any particular order to the items, which is mildly annoying.
I skimmed through the titles, and these are what caught my attention as things I might be willing to buy. (Anyone see something on there that I should avoid?)
Lucky Star (series, OVA)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Wolf's Rain
S-Cry-Ed
Ghost Slayers Ayashi
Azumanga Daioh
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Avoid buying S-Cry-Ed. I saw the first few episodes at a convention and liked them enough that I got the box set, only to discover that the quality slowly dips over the first half of the series and plunges at the end. There was a lot of story potential that wound up getting squandered in the search for MOAR POWER!
On the other hand, I rather liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. It wasn't a blockbuster action movie, but it was quite enjoyable as a more personal type of story.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV

Ok, S-Cry-ed is off the list. Thanks.

I missed this before, but they are also having a buy three, get one free thing on some mangas (and I think I saw a Haruhi light novel in there too).  Here's a link to that.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

What little I saw of wolfs rain made me give upon it, and for some reason I have always hated azumanga daioh, which puts me firmly in the minority.

On the other hand I kinda like Scryed, although shephers summation is accurate. i would put the quality at about that of an X-men movie, not great but also not terrible, with a similar kind of feel.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I will counter Shepherd's disrecommendation. I actually liked Scryed more the later it goes into the show. The animation quality dips a bit, but the story is much better once we actualy, you kow, care about these characters. It's also not afraid to mix up the status quo.
----------------
Epsilon

I never liked the way Wolf's Rain ends.

Quote:Spoilers:
In the last few episodes everyone starts dropping like flies. No, really. It's been long enough for me to not remember the details, but it's bad. In the end, no one is spared, not even Cheza, who turns into some sort of Yggdrasil tree whose flowers brings new life to the world after the apocalyptic winter.

And in the end? They show the modern-day world and everyone but the big-bad has been reincarnated (it's implied that he became the evil taint that all humanity is stuck with). And the absolutely worst of all is that they don't know each other, even when they pass each other in the street.
And I didn't really like the way s-CRY-ed ended, either.
Quote:Spoilers:
Too many heroic sacrifices of awesome people, and in the end Kazuma and Ryuhou battle each other to a standstill... and after THAT they become strangers to everyone else, looking for fights and seeming to become the very bullies they hated.
The shame of it all is that both series had the potential for epically awesome endings, but instead they crush your hopes like Anno with Evangelion.  Pity.
I can't say anything for the other stuff as I haven't seen any.

CattyNebulart Wrote:On the other hand I kinda like Scryed, although shephers summation is accurate. i would put the quality at about that of an X-men movie, not great but also not terrible, with a similar kind of feel.
Comparing S-Cry-Ed to an X-Men movie, I'd have to say that it starts out with the awesomeness of the opening scenes of X-Men 2, but that the ending sucks on the same level as the final action scenes of X-Men 3. Magneto's 'plan' is made of pure fail, stressing large but pointless explosions over the tiniest shred of common sense. If he'd truly wanted to succeed, he'd have left the cannon fodder army at home and simply dropped the bridge on top of the target facility. The ending of S-Cry-Ed makes similarly little sense.
----------------------------------------------------

"Anyone can be a winner if their definition of victory is flexible enough." - The DM of the Rings XXXV