Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Caught a sneak preview the other night - very good geek movie Smile  They integrated video games, manga (direct Dragonball Z and Utena references, and lots of making manga-style action scenes work with a live-action movie), and comics very well. 
RMH
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?
- Albert Einstein

And apparently the studio doesn't plan on it making much money, as they already have the DVD/BluRay release set for October.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Definitely wanna see this one. Smile

Foxboy Wrote:And apparently the studio doesn't plan on it making much money, as they already have the DVD/BluRay release set for October.
In that case, I can wait...

(Thus making their expectations a self-fulfilling prophecy. Never announce the DVD release date before the movie hits the theaters, folks!)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

BTW, for you Avatar The Last Airbender fans... Ramona's ex-gf Roxy? Played by Katara's voice actress...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I just started reading the comics in prep for the movie and holy shit where the hell have I been? Scott Pilgrim is freaking awesome! I'll have finished all six books by the end of the week.

Bob Schroeck Wrote:BTW, for you Avatar The Last Airbender fans... Ramona's ex-gf Roxy? Played the Katara's voice actress...

I'll be in my bunk.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"

I just got back from seeing this. It was great. Big Grin

I'm kinda curious about the rest of this world now, given that these powers don't seem to be unusual, but the world looks like ours.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Quote:I'm kinda curious about the rest of this world now, given that these powers don't seem to be unusual, but the world looks like ours.
One of the reviews I read put it well: imagine SPvTW as a metaphor for the teenage years. The hot babe is so hot snow melts around her. The things you couldn't do last year but can do this year are so great, sometimes you think you're a superhero. And so on...

So, yeah, it's our world. It's just not us who are looking at it.
--
Rob Kelk

It's magical realism, but the magic is video game cliches.
And its very good.
----------------
Epsilon

robkelk Wrote:
Quote:I'm kinda curious about the rest of this world now, given that these powers don't seem to be unusual, but the world looks like ours.
One of the reviews I read put it well: imagine SPvTW as a metaphor for the teenage years. The hot babe is so hot snow melts around her. The things you couldn't do last year but can do this year are so great, sometimes you think you're a superhero. And so on...

And the Vegan Police?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Jorlem Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:

And the Vegan Police?
PETA.

Oh, wait - wrong "vegan"...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:
Jorlem Wrote:
robkelk Wrote:One of the reviews I read put it well: imagine SPvTW as a metaphor for the teenage years. The hot babe is so hot snow melts around her. The things you couldn't do last year but can do this year are so great, sometimes you think you're a superhero. And so on...

And the Vegan Police?

PETA.

Oh, wait - wrong "vegan"...
No, in fact, you were right the first time. Smile
--Sam
"Gravity is a harsh mistress."

"Explain to me again how not eating meat gives you psychic powers..."
----------------
Epsilon

Just got back from seeing it. Lots of fun.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Epsilon Wrote:"Explain to me again how not eating meat gives you psychic powers..."
----------------
Epsilon

What cracked me up was I didn't realize that was Superman/Agent Daniel Shaw playing Todd the Vegan until he said "if you read the science" line.
---
Jon
"And that must have caused my dad's brain to break in half, replaced by a purely mechanical engine of revenge!"