Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dang, I'm Mythstumped....
Dang, I'm Mythstumped....
In a recent issue of New Scientist (of which I've been reading off and on, for years) I came across an advertisement for an intriguing competition. The gist is think up a new and interesting myth for the Mythbusters to test and gain geek points by getting mentioned on the show for coming up with it. You also get a 3 year subscription to New Scientist thrown in if your the winner.

As the topic says I'm currently stumped on an idea for 'em, the wise mustached one reckons they've got enough ideas to pull from their files/fansite for the next eight years. Oh and the link http://mythbusters.newscientist.com/ might not work in non .au countries. The way my mind will work, I'll end up with suggesting something that would put them on to international intelligence watch lists, like say just what really happens when a 1/2 critical mass amount of U235 meets another half mass of U235 at various velocities.

--Rod.H (who's newish keyboard has a sticky 'i')
"And it glows in the dark too....."

How about having PETA instead of the CIA, FBI and Scotland yard after you.

Just submit the Myth about about coke killing rats and mice because the can't burp.

howard melton

Have they done the one about wedding rice causing birds to explode?
--Sam
"If you're so evil... EAT THIS KITTEN!"

I think generally speaking if it's a myth ABOUT hurting something (other than a human based on stupidity) then they won't do it because they don't want to encourage anyone else to try.
So nothing about anything even having the POTENTIAL of hurting a bird or a cat or a dog or anything else. Forget it. Don't do it. No attempting to test the rice making birds explode thing. Even if they did it with a model stomach or something.
If it's something ABOUT an animal and it's not about hurting them, then that's ok. They tested the "Are Elephants really afraid of Mice" thing. (Which turned out to be plausible! The Elephants DID shy away from the mouse!)
They did do "shooting fish in a barrel" myth, but the fish were either models or an already dead fish. And fish in general seem to be an exception. (That proves the rule?)
If it's something involving humans hurting themselves, then hey - that's cool. They can substitute Buster for must things. And does an episode go by where Adam and Tory DON'T hurt themselves? (And let us have a laugh at their expense?)

Can something suspended in Jello survive shockwaves from explosions?
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Have they observed the effects of strapping a JATO unit to your muscle car? Wink

Well while I was commuting home, a thought wandered through me mind - not that finding inspiration while driving should be a regular part of ones journeys (myth by self? Needs better wordage, yes!) - but has everyone seen the dimpled car test from them doing dirty car? Well it's something that they might do on a new supersized myths episode.

So my idea is take their concept of the dimpled car and apply it to an aircraft. Small scale would be easy. Just pop down to the local hobby store, return with a polystyrene RC trainer make divots. Now large scale's where it gets tricky, who'd be crazy enough to let them near a operational plane and let them do stuff to it.

Well, seeing that the US Navy's Blue Angels have assisted with a myth, and divisions of NASA help 'em out. I'm thinking the US Air Force and the Boneyard could be tapped for it. Provide an F-4 drone, a different 'explosive' end to its existence instead of just being another moving test target.

--Rod.H

blackaeronaut Wrote:Have they observed the effects of strapping a JATO unit to your muscle car? Wink
Dude - that was the very first episode they ever did!
Here -

Logan, you missed the winky emoticon he used. That was intended as a tongue-in-cheek reference to both tries.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Sure. But why pass up an opportunity to link that vid?  ^_^