Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another Facebook violation
Yet another Facebook violation
http://lifehacker.com/561...-disable-facebook-places
Basically, they've added a 4square sort of service, but unless you explicitly disable the thing, your FRIENDS can check you into locations.
I am pretty much to the point that one more violation will make me cancel my account. Oh, and with that, I'm unlikely to ever look at social networking sites ever again. So, yes, they've spoiled the entire party for me.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Relevant XKCD

Another on the pile marked "Reasons to be smug about not having an FB"... And now, back to my Linux running laptop.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be disabling this as soon as I can.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Dartz Wrote:Another on the pile marked "Reasons to be smug about not having an FB"... And now, back to my Linux running laptop.
I am getting very, very tempted to rejoin that camp right now. Even though some people I'm only in contact through Facebook at the present time.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Quote:Even though some people I'm only in contact through Facebook at the present time.
And here I thought that everybody on the 'net had email...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

For those of use still comfortably ensconced in Web 1.0, just what does "check you into a location" mean, exactly?  What does it do to you?

From what I gather (in the no facebook camp, myself) I think what is going on is using a facebook app on your phone, you can upload a "I'm here right now" sort of thing, and if you wish, include a "Friend is with me" or something. It seems to be Facebook's native version of Foursquare
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

Ankhani Wrote:From what I gather (in the no facebook camp, myself) I think what is going on is using a facebook app on your phone, you can upload a "I'm here right now" sort of thing, and if you wish, include a "Friend is with me" or something. It seems to be Facebook's native version of Foursquare
That is what I gathered myself. I really have no brook with the fact that they provided it... it's the whole 'and Friend is with me' that chaps my hide.
robkelk Wrote:And here I thought that everybody on the 'net had email...
Many people do. Part of my strategy is to get the emails of people I'd like to stay in touch with, since I have been using Facebook in lieu of that. Mostly this is my not-in-state relatives.
--