Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Moe & Harems are Dead", says Ken Akamatsu
"Moe & Harems are Dead", says Ken Akamatsu
Yes, the man who brought us Love Hina and Negima says there's no life left in the moe or harem genres.

Sankaku Complex link (warning - it's Sankaku Complex, which is why it's not a hotlink): http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/08/2 ... -are-dead/

Everybody's entitled to his opinion, I guess... but while I don't see harem shows going away any time soon, it would be nice if this particular fad has run its course and we can see something else for a change.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Agreed. Harem shows have been around since Ranma and Tenchi, and haven't gone away yet. It's one of those Older Than Radio tropes.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I strongly suspect that we'll be seeing zombies for quite some time.
I also think it's quite time too. A lot of the juice has been sucked out of both and they're getting distinctly repetitive and boring.

Frankly, I'd prefer if it was lolicon that died a horrible burning death. Lolicon is sometimes a subset of Moe so yeah, okay. But really, I just want less sexualized 12 year olds.
-----------------
Epsilon

I find zombies to be less than entertaining.

Stick with the good old-fashioned evil sorceress/vampire/whatever.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

When I say zombies - I mean shambling, soulless harem and moe series.

Yeah, Moe's gone beyond the beyond, that goes without saying. A dash can be nice... but when it becomes the entire premise of a show churned out solely to sell figures of lilicons with anatomically correct pantsu.... I'll just end up repeating what everyone else has said about soulless commercial series.

I wonder if there's anything out there that'll do to Moe, what Neon Genesis Evangelion did to traditional hotblood Mecha?

*shudders*

Though I hear that "Asobi ni Iku yo!" is a step in that direction, though it's specifically deconstructing "Magical Girlfriend" mo-e (best workaround that shows the pronunciation without putting an accent mark that standard Romanizations generally don't have for Japanese), like "Akikan!" or "Aa! Megami-sama!"
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Can we maybe get more of the classic Matsumoto-style space opera genre of the early 80s please? 

Yes, - they've never really stopped doing the giant robot genre and many of those shows have elements of that (Macross Frontier). But when's the last time we had a good old classic space oriented show? Static NON-transformable mecha, etc? Like the Yamato series or even Captain Harlock SSX or Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

The recent release of the new Yamato movie has me wondering when was the last time I saw a whole series like that? And I can't think of anything recent. The closest I can think of is Outlaw Star (I know the grappler ships have arms, but otherwise it fits) and even further back - Lost Universe. 

Mmm. Speaking of which, anyone got a good fansubbing of the Yamato movie yet?

And, Logan, ISTR there was a new OAV release for Banner of the Stars not too long ago.
ETA: If you haven't seen it, check out The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. You know you want to.
ETA2: New rec. Tytania - haven't seen it yet myself, but reviews are good.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.

I enjoy Tytania a great deal. It's very much a love song to Boring Germans In Space, but faster moving. The entire sequence of Ahb stuff is brilliant as well.
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."

Dartz Wrote:I wonder if there's anything out there that'll do to Moe, what Neon Genesis Evangelion did to traditional hotblood Mecha?
Elfin Lied.
-------------
Epsilon

Epsilon Wrote:
Dartz Wrote:I wonder if there's anything out there that'll do to Moe, what Neon Genesis Evangelion did to traditional hotblood Mecha?
Elfin Lied.
-------------
Epsilon
oooooh yeah, that had Moe and Woobie.... and then did terible things to them >_>;

Oh of course! Banner/Crest of the Stars! That's a great series! Cant' believe I forgot that!
The other stuff you mentioned sounds intriguing as well.

Jinx999 Wrote:When I say zombies - I mean shambling, soulless harem and moe series.
So, not http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highschool_of_the_Dead]High School of the Dead... well, maybe that falls under "harem", considering the gender (im)balance.
--
Rob Kelk

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/sankarea/

Behold, the Moe Zombie harem. (No I'm not kidding... but then, when do we ever have to what with the Japanese)

Disclaimer: I am _not_ actually recommending this series, and it is also definitely NSFW.

Not too bad, what I read. But then, I tend to read fanfic, so my expectations are lower.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

dark seraph Wrote:
Epsilon Wrote:
Elfin Lied.
-------------
Epsilon
oooooh yeah, that had Moe and Woobie.... and then did terible things to them >_>;

Oh I remember that. >Big Grin

Unfortunately, since I'm out in some culchie village in wexford using my mobile phone as a GPRS modem, I don't think I'll be able to read the Mangafox link.

However, there is nothing that cannot be improved by the addition of zombies.

s3yang Wrote:http://www.mangafox.com/manga/sankarea/

Behold, the Moe Zombie harem. (No I'm not kidding... but then, when do we ever have to what with the Japanese)

Disclaimer: I am _not_ actually recommending this series, and it is also definitely NSFW.
I've heard good things about this series over on Usenet, and they're making an anime (which is currently airing in Japan) from this manga. If you can handle the premise, give it a try...
--
Rob Kelk

Looked at the first few chapters and it already reminds me of Death Becomes Her.