Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The (Near) Complete Metropolis
The (Near) Complete Metropolis
I just saw the near complete version of Metropolis earlier tonight, with music provided by the Alloy Orchestra. It was very good, and I highly recommend seeing it if you have a chance.

When I say 'near complete' I mean it is far more complete than the version that was re-released a few years ago. They found very nearly the rest of the movie in a dim museum in Argentina, and are now only missing two scenes, about six minutes, instead of nearly a half hour of footage.

The Alloy Orchestra performed their own original score to the movie, which they have been evolving for the last twenty years as bit and pieces of the film have been rediscovered. It's not the original score, which I heard last June, but it's quite good in it's own right, and fits the movie well.

It's really a neat experience seeing Metropolis on a movie screen, with real people in the orchestra pit providing live music, like it was back when it was originally screened (I imagine). We even had real unplanned projector 'difficulties', updated for the modern era.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I highly recommend seeing this if you get a chance.

If you're interested, here's a link to the Alloy Orchestra's tour page, so you can see if it will be near you. http://www.alloyorchestra.com/tour.schedule.html

(If you can find it somewhere where it's playing with the original score, go see that too. It's great)
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Oh, cool, they'll be in NYC at the end of October... maybe I can convince Peg to go...
ETA: ... except the venue they list on their website doesn't seem to know anything about it, and in fact has two other events scheduled for that day...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

That's odd.  Maybe the Alloy Orchestra had to cancel, and forgot to update their webpage or something?  I would suggest sending the Alloy Orchestra an email, and ask about that.
Anyway, here's a link for the showings with the original, 1927 score.  This is the website of the group that actually did the restoration, and owns the rights to it (as far as I know), so it should be accurate. http://www.kino.com/metropolis/playdates.html#play
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.