Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It's Not Our Fault!"
"It's Not Our Fault!"
In case anybody's missed the news - http://dirty-pair.rightstuf.com/]Dirty Pair TV Collection 1 is due out in less than a month. Sub-only, but that's (a) better than what we have now, and (b) to be expected from Right Stuf. (Have they dubbed anything since Tylor?)

Oh, hey - remastered video! And a brand-new interview with Haruka Takachiho, creator of the Dirty Pair!

Everybody's happy about this!
[Image: DTP_e015_0133.jpg]
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Wow, 80s anime feels downright CHUBBY these days, don't it? Still ove Kei and Yuri, just making an observation.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:Wow, 80s anime feels downright CHUBBY these days, don't it? Still ove Kei and Yuri, just making an observation.

I'd say "grown-up" rather than "chubby", myself. They're not 14. And those are healthy body proportions, unlike the stick-figures of some anime... (Yes, Super GALS!, I am looking at you.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Kinda reminds me of Miyazaki's style... though some of the women he drew were quite... generous themselves. You just didn't really notice it bacause 1) they had proportions to go with it (think: big strong women) and 2) they are not scantily clad.

Sometimes I wonder if CLAMP's stick-figures haven't had a bit too much influence on anime art styles...
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

Foxboy Wrote:Wow, 80s anime feels downright CHUBBY these days, don't it? Still ove Kei and Yuri, just making an observation.

No... they just look more like people, and not 14 year olds who've been stretched in a toffee machine for a bit...

I think that at least 90% of that particular observation may have to do with the shot itself. Observe:

[Image: x2KeiandYuriservice.jpg]

The limbs look much less "chunky" when drawn extended and straight, also, the fingers seem to be drawn less large in the long shot.

I do chuckle, however, that the remastered imagery(assuming that's where the above image comes from) seems to render Kei more....Oompa-Loompa Orange compared to the older stuff.
---
"Oh, silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond. Heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way. Lay
waste."

The stick figure look owes more to fashion design than it does to Clamp. In fashion design all the figures are draw as these inhumanly thin caricatures so that its easier to add and remove the elements of the clothing (which is the point). Unfortuneatly the purely practical design aesthetic has become an the ideal design aesthetic. Supergals, for example, follows this design aesthetic religious because the series is as much about the fashion as it is the characters.
---------------
Epsilon