Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Band 3
Rock Band 3
My roommate picked this up on release earlier this week. He didn't have quite enough to get the pro guitar, but he did splurge on the pro drums and the keyboard. In between bouts of Civ 5 and reading Hybrid Theory I've/we've been fooling around with it. The verdict so far: it's good, though I personally find the new set list a little... wanting. But that's mostly because I'm a progressive rock fan and I can see the keyboard potential in a lot of prog. (Although Yes' "Roundabout" is a part of the set list. It's, uh... oh man, it's hard. Even on easier settings.)

The keyboard itself is a lot of fun to tool around with, both in regular and pro mode. However, a lot of songs have long gaps between keyboard parts that leave whoever is playing them with nothing to do. "Rock Lobster", for example, is keyboard heavy for the first half, and then there's nothing in the second half. Zilch. Once you get a feel for the instrument and the game, though, it can be a lot of fun.

Pro drums are regular drums with cymbals. It's basically the same as before but with added complications, now with the ability to hook up a second pedal for double-kick action.

We're having a pre-Halloween party tonight, so the game will get its big test then.

I'm kind of wondering how the thing with using the keyboard to play guitar parts works. I can imagine it either being right up my alley, or me being worse at it than regular guitar, depending on how it's done...

-Morgan.

It works like this: The keyboard in non-pro mode uses five keys, each corresponding to the colors on the guitar controller (green, red, yellow, blue, orange) on C3, D3, E3, F3, and G3. This translates perfectly to the guitar parts, and in fact makes them easier since there's no strumming; you just tap the note.

Oh, and party results: wild success. Everyone involved had a great time with the game. The only consistent complaint was that people wished there was some kind of timer to countdown between keyboard parts since there can be big gaps where the keyboardist is doing nothing, like I said above.

I tried it on Saturday. I like that the microphones go into karaoke mode when the keyboard is used. (They aren't needed, and can't fail out, but they can help the score if plugged in and used.) Didn't try the keyboard, but everyone who did liked it.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."