Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of old flashgames I thought had gone away.
A couple of old flashgames I thought had gone away.
But they apparently did not. Well not entirely.
One is a tie-in to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Movie from 2005. As far as I can tell, there's no more direct link on the site that hosts it. The exhibition tie-in page for the HHGTTG movie still exists too, but again, you wouldn't find it from just opening the main site. Apparently the page and the game are still sitting on their servers, just not linked to. (I had that happen with a website of mine around 1999-2002. Officially the ISP that hosted it got bought out and free hosting was theoretically no longer going to be provided. In reality, I got 2 and a half more years of free hosting for that site. Apparently it was sitting on some forgotten server that had never been deactivated. I could even update my website via FTP. I guess they finally physically shut down the server around 2002.)
But the game itself still exists and is playable (though you can no longer record a high score - or any score actually. But that's really not the point, is it? ^_^).  The fun part is that each "sub-game" is only 5 seconds long and on a timer. So if you've never played the game before, you've got 5 seconds to figure out what's even going on before reacting to it! Sometimes it's a multiple choice question. Sometimes it's navigating through and asteroid field with a spaceship (or navigating through fish, or hamburgers, or something else weird). Sometimes it's driving Marvin around trying to avoid falling slabs of cheese. Or aiming a tomato just right at the head of the Vogon who is about to spout poetry...  All of it done in the same style of animation as that done for the book excerpts from the movie.
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Game
Another is a tie in for Spam-a-Lot, the musical of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. This one is, more or less, a traditional "catapult" style flash game. It's the sound effects and animation that make it fun.
Spam-a-Lot Game