Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idol Speculation
Idol Speculation
This was only a matter of time; and I have mixed feelings about it, but the cool is just too great to ignore.
http://www.huffingtonpost...holograph-_n_782442.html
It will be interesting to see where this goes as a tool for both artificial pop-stars and real ones.  Imagine what this tech could do for spectacle in a concert.
Lady Ga-Ga performing flanked by two Lady Ga-Ga-vatars?  Laser Floyd...
As the tech gets better and people start truly playing with it as art, imagine the stage shows and choreography that you could do with it.
Shayne

I has an intrigued, I must admit.
"No can brain today. Want cheezeburger."
From NGE: Nobody Dies, by Gregg Landsman
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5579457/1/NGE_Nobody_Dies

Hm Gotta wonder how it feels "in person" as it were.
However, I foresee Disney or Pixar using this technology for a presentation at say the Academy Awards
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Wow. That's even more impressive than the Gorillaz "live performances".
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

*Insert link to appropriate Schlock Mercenary strip here*

-Morgan.

I'm just wondering how the hell they pulled that off! For certain, it appears they used multiple laser projectors operating from different angles... but how did they get the image to be so... so coherent!?

There are several methods I've seen in the news over the last year or so that might account for it; whatever it is, though, it encloses a relatively small volume. Note that she doesn't move very far from the point where she rose up out of the stage. And the stage design, with those curving, enclosing "beams", effectively reduce the performing space, and thus make it less obvious that she's not ranging from one end of the stage to another.

One possibility might be that she's projected on a vertical sheet of glass or plexiglas which is spinning; different lasers paint different angles at different points in its rotation.

As for the performance itself, Disney already does something similar with its "Monsters, Inc." attraction, in which projected computer-generated characters interact with the audience in real-time. I suspect that there's a very real actress/dancer somewhere out of sight tagged for motion capture, who drives the movements of the animated figure, and gets some kind of visual feed on the stage and at least the first row or two so she can wave to or otherwise respond to nearby audience members. It'd be interesting to find out if "Miku" actually talks to the audience; if she does, I wonder who's in charge of her dialogue and how much of it is allowed to be spontaneous.
-- Bob
---------

Okay, I'm wrong, at least partially.� The 3-D look is an illusion; just like the Gorillaz stuff from a couple years ago, it's a projection on a flat sheet of glass.� The "beams" hide the supports.� It's very visible on this video at the 20-second mark, and even more so from 1:20 to 1:25. You can even see the seams in the sheet where several pieces are butted up edge-to-edge to make a larger "screen".

-- Bob
---------

Wow. Shades of Sharon Apple.

Also, its worth noting that all the vocaloids are still using voices that are sampled from specific real people and voice actors.

It's a variation on the same classic illusion used in the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyland.
--Sam
"If you're so evil... EAT THIS KITTEN!"

Funny you should mention that -- literally moments ago I showed the video to Peggy and said exactly the same thing.

Oh, and the illusion is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper's_ghost]Pepper's Ghost.

BTW, Shayne, it's interesting that the HuffPost picked that video to link to; every other one from that concert which I've watched makes the trick far more obvious.
-- Bob
---------

This news story has drawn a *lot* of attention. That video has closing on 2 million views. I think what's so compelling about this is how much the audience is into the performance. Only Po Pi Po has more audience involvement, but it's a little silly for making that kind of statement.
Dythe

Ok, I just watched episode 5 of The World God Only Knows. Having watched the videos linked upthread yesterday, I couldn't stop laughing when Katsuragi explained why he doesn't like TV idols. (It's the bit right after the theme song.)
Oh, the irony.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.