Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking: NHS
Specifically, the compilation volumes entitled "Ninja High School: Textbook". Each covered about 20 issues (big nice brick o comics), and sold for around $30.
I want the first one, but nobody seems to have it in stock. Anyone have any suggestions where to look, or have one to sell, let me know?
Thanks!
Re: Seeking: NHS
If you find out anything, please let me know. I've been trying to fill in Peggy on the NHS backstory she needs for "Undocumented Features", but without actually having the comics handy, it's difficult.

-- Bob
---------
"Flan on!" -- The battlecry of the Human Dessert
Be so kind as to consider a third voice added to that chorus, will you?
Thanks, and blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
NHS means "National Health Service" to me, living in the UK, so before reading it I wondered if this post was about a medical problem... [grin]
So there are Ninja High School bits in UF, are there? Well, you learn something new everyday! [grin]
I am pretty sure I am missing a lot of the references in UF...
Ah well! I doubt it will kill me, and it still makes a good read! [grin]
--
"It is the business of the future to be dangerous" - Hawkwind
Crossovers in UF
Quote:
So there are Ninja High School bits in UF, are there? Well, you learn something new everyday! [grin]
Ah well! I doubt it will kill me, and it still makes a good read! [grin]
As it happens, I've been keeping a file listing all the crossovers in UF that I can identify, in some vague approximation of chronological order. It's probably at least slightly incomplete, some of the crossovers are identified by description since I don't know their names, and there's some degree of redundancy; I've been doing "one line per source universe" (something over 110 lines so far), but that leads to the problem of how to handle many of the superhero crossovers, since so many of them theoretically share one universe.
Anyway. If you're interested in such a list, or think you might be able to contribute to it, feel free to let me know.
(I'm also working on a complete UF soundtrack listing... a much more major project, not to mention much less complete.)
NHS Brick
Well, I went ahead and ordered the first Gold-Digger brick (with the one-page misprint, so the whole thing is only $20).
Mile-High Comics has one used copy of volume -two- of the NHS bricks, for $30, in excellent condition, they say, and that's the only one I've been able to find short of ordering a new volume 2 from Antarctic Press ($50? Aiee!)
Quote:
Salusia, Queen (then Princess) Asrial, Jeremy Feeple, "real" first contact being circa 1985 or so -- all Ninja High School. Hell, even the name of Redneck's intro story -- "The Quagmire Project" -- harks back to NHS, as "Quagmire" is Jeremy Feeple's home town.
Quote:
Me, too, but that's one set, at least, that I get.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Crossovers in UF
Quote:
As it happens, I've been keeping a file listing all the crossovers in UF that I can identify, in some vague approximation of chronological order.
Very cool!
Quote:
It's probably at least slightly incomplete, some of the crossovers are identified by description since I don't know their names, and there's some degree of redundancy;
Well, if you want to throw it up on General/General, I'm sure there are a lot of readers here who could help.
Quote:
I've been doing "one line per source universe" (something over 110 lines so far), but that leads to the problem of how to handle many of the superhero crossovers, since so many of them theoretically share one universe.
"Theoretically" is the operative word. DC universe is a good example. There are several different versions of the DC universe running in parallel, and you can probably cite them separately -- "Batman Beyond" isn't the same as "Batman -- The Animated Series" isn't the same as "Justice League" (I think). "Teen Titans" seems even more divorced from the main DC timeline, given the radical differences in Starfire and Raven alone. Not to mention the fact that we have what appears to be the Dick Grayson Robin at around 14 to 16 in the early 21st century, when he became Nightwing at 20 or so in the main timeline circa 1983...
Anyway, like I said, feel free to post it and I'm sure you'll get all the collaborative help you need.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
Hell, even the name of Redneck's intro story -- "The Quagmire Project" -- harks back to NHS, as "Quagmire" is Jeremy Feeple's home town.

Which becomes even more apropos when you realize that Redneck at the time worked for Antarctic Press... who publish NHS.
Re: Crossovers in UF
Quote:
Well, if you want to throw it up on General/General, I'm sure there are a lot of readers here who could help.
I think I'll do that - thanks for the suggestion. It's not exactly easy reading, even considering what it is, but...
Quote:
"Theoretically" is the operative word. DC universe is a good example.
Yes, I know - that and Marvel are the two big ones I've been thinking of.
Quote:
"Batman Beyond" isn't the same as "Batman -- The Animated Series" isn't the same as "Justice League" (I think).
I'd cite them all under "Batman", personally - likewise, I have just one entry for "Transformers" even though UF uses three different source canon, plus their own variants. How to handle the megacrossover source universes is the question, especially given that I'm not sure I'd even *recognize* some of the sources, much less be able to name them.
Quote:
"Teen Titans" seems even more divorced from the main DC timeline, given the radical differences in Starfire and Raven alone.
I just took "Teen Titans" as its own original, without actual reference to any preexisting superhero universe - certainly it has its own listing in my file.
I'd like to watch the show, by this point, if I could get it in reasonable order rather than just picking it up in the middle...
Quote:
Anyway, like I said, feel free to post it and I'm sure you'll get all the collaborative help you need.
Follows shortly.
Teen Titans
Just so you know, each episode of TT is designed to stand alone. In fact, there is almost NO episode-to-episode continuity.
Rather like the old "Superfriends" show, y'know? Everyone refers to each other by their "Codenames" rather than by their "Secret Identities." Of course, the animation is tons better. *grin*
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: Teen Titans
I thought they were doing some arc-continuity stuff with Slade/Deathstroke the Terminator?

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Re: Teen Titans
Urk. Um, follow up on this in General/General, please. This isn't the proper place for this discussion.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
NHS
I can't help you with the Textbook format, but I got the first 6 volumes in Pocket Manga fairly cheap as a special order from my comic shop. As long as they order from a company that uses the Previews catalog, they should be able to hook you up.
On the other hand, I didn't really like the first six books, so beware.
--
If you become a monster to put down a monster you've still got a monster running around at the end of the day and have as such not really solved the whole monster problem at all.