Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brrrr!!!!!

Lucky. I hear there's going to be a major snowstorm on Tuesday night/Wednesday. That'll be fun.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

I have to say that I hope that the folks from Green Bay and Pittsburgh are grateful for this welcome that us Dallasites have trotted out for them. Not only have we had four days of sub-freezing weather, but we've had four to six inches of snow on top of the ice that arrived on Tuesday. Must be just like a nice Spring day for the Cheeseheads.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Could had walked home!
Snow then turning to icy rain yesterday...90 minutes to travel 6 miles!
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

We're out of the cold snap here in Denver, but it's somewhat novel that we have a forecast that practically all but one day of the next week has snow predicted... and really just enough to ensure that the roads get to stay wet or icy for the foreseeable future.

Thankfully, though, it looks like most of the idiots are clued in... I only had two people blow past me at unreasonable speeds on one of the highways on the way home from a meeting.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

So, this week I've been dealing with Ice. Snow on Top of Ice, and rolling blackouts.  Needless to say - this is NOT NORMAL for my area of Dallas/Fort Worth Texas. It's been an insane week.

Caused in part by scheduled maintenance on power plants in Texas that normally occurs during winter months when demand for power is supposed to be LIGHT. But noooooo! Several power plants were down for maintenance at the WORST possible time. But I REALLY blame the Texas Power Commission, who obviously think that it's more important to save money on the State budget by refusing to buy power from the neighboring power grids than keeping things like... oh say LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES IN BLOODY HOSPITALS GOING!!!! Yes - that really happened. Power got cut off to HOSPITALS. They were supposed to be exempt from the black-outs. Nope. BWWEEOooooo.... there go the lights in the operating rooms! Yes they have generators, but those take a few minutes to kick in. I'm sure someone's life was put in some serious danger because of all this. 

All during SUPERBOWL Week with all these people from out of town clogging up the freeways. For once, though, it's not the out-of-towners I worry about. THEY are used to this! It's the natives who are skating all over the roads. It's just the roads are that much more crowded. 

There's another thing to lay on the state government, you'd think SOMEBODY would take some BLOODY INITIATIVE and say "Hey now fellas. Maybe it might help our image with all the out of state visitors and media if we bought a little power from off-grid instead of having rolling blackouts? That's got to be sending the wrong impression, you know." 

But NO. Nobody did. 15 Degrees outside and the power goes out for 15, 20, 50 minutes. One time for over FOUR HOURS at my house. 

So I've stayed at home. All week long. The truck hasn't been touched in almost 6 days. Go out and drive in this craziness? HELL no. I admit I'm getting a bit of cabin fever, really. But I don't want to go out yet until the last Superbowl fan packs up and leaves to go back home to Wisconsin or Pennsylvania and until the ice melts. 

But there's one question that keeps popping up in my head over and over: 

"So how's that Global Warming theory working out for you guys?" ^_^

Logan Darklighter Wrote:But there's one question that keeps popping up in my head over and over: 

"So how's that Global Warming theory working out for you guys?" ^_^
The forecast is for the temperature to hit the freezing point today.

In Ottawa (the second-coldest federal capital on Earth - only Mongolia's is colder). In February (the middle of winter).

I hope they don't close the skating rinks. This is the first weekend of Winterlude, so there are tourists who've come here for the skating...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Logan Darklighter Wrote:"So how's that Global Warming theory working out for you guys?" ^_^
Y'know that's pretty much the same thing Jeremy Clarkson's been saying for a number of years now.

As for the power. Huh?!? There are complete plants down as in non-operating. I though for maintenance purposes that only a section of a plant was taken down at a time. That's what they did at a nuke plant in Pennsylvania that NatGeo covered a steam turbine replacement, put that half of the plant down and fixed whatever needed fixing while they also did the replacement.

Meh! We've only had to deal with the left over rain supposedly from the last big cyclone. Places flooded quite unexpectedly, but that's what 100+mm of rain in x hours will do. Whilst the hole I'm slowly digging to lay some pavers filled with water and brought back with it some of the dirt I'd removed.

--Rod.H

Meanwhile, here in NJ we've had two days in a row above freezing for the first time in six or eight weeks. We've actually lost all the icicles, and some of the bushes are visible again in the snow.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.