Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCORE!!!
SCORE!!!
Specifically, the Steve Jablonsky score from the Bay TF movie, the only thing I judge worthy from it. (does a victory dance) And how worthy it is! Like someone said here when the movie first came out, it "finds all the right buttons and then mashes them with big fucking hammers!"

- CD, exultant
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

Ah, so you are just now discovering that one? I snagged it a while ago - very nice soundtrack. Totally dig the track, Scorponok - gives me delightful imagery of the Airforce sending out its finest instruments of destruction. (^_^) "Roll out strike package Bravo - send the Hogs to Killbox One-Alpha."

(Yeah, I know. Navy guys shouldn't really admire Airforce hardware... but what isn't awesome about the Hogs? Or the AC-130?)

Not so much that I just discovered the music - I heard it in the movie after all - as that I just discovered the soundtrack album while making a last trip to the local big shopping area for CDRoms, I literally just turned my head without being sure why I suddenly felt the urge and noticed it (only lacking a mysterious beam of light shining down) right in front of me while going past the music section.

CD, is happy
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

I was say gonna which Bay TF movie, till I remember that Steve Jablonsky is doing/has done all of 'em (plus the video games). Yeah, they are pretty nice tracks I should probably grab the complete album instead of the individuals that I have.

Hey it's the Airforces' version of some Navy vessels, a transportation package wrapped around some awesome BFG's. Quite literal with the Hog and seemingly accidental with the AC-130. And to think the USAF wants to drop both of those planes from the roster.

--Rod.H

Rod H Wrote:Hey it's the Airforces' version of some Navy vessels, a transportation package wrapped around some awesome BFG's. Quite literal with the Hog and seemingly accidental with the AC-130. And to think the USAF wants to drop both of those planes from the roster.
Chih!  No kidding!  And at a time when Danger-Close operations are a regular occurrence.

blackaeronaut Wrote:
Rod H Wrote:Hey it's the Airforces' version of some Navy vessels, a transportation package wrapped around some awesome BFG's. Quite literal with the Hog and seemingly accidental with the AC-130. And to think the USAF wants to drop both of those planes from the roster.
Chih!  No kidding!  And at a time when Danger-Close operations are a regular occurrence.

It's more a matter of a collection of high-ranking people not liking the fact that they have to do CAS for the ground pounders and see it as taking funds from their pet projects and what not. For example the A-10 before it's recent avionics upgrade, the pilots had to use hand-held laser-targeters, hand-held infantry radios and portable GPS units just to do their job, for nearly two decades going from the accounts I've read.

As for the AC-130 well I think they have pretty much been on USSOCOMs books since formation, so I do believe I miss-stated earlier about the USAF wanting to drop it. For if they could do that, it will still fly just crewed with Navy, Army & Marines personal.

--Rod.H

Rod H Wrote:It's more a matter of a collection of high-ranking people not liking the fact that they have to do CAS for the ground pounders and see it as taking funds from their pet projects and what not. For example the A-10 before it's recent avionics upgrade, the pilots had to use hand-held laser-targeters, hand-held infantry radios and portable GPS units just to do their job, for nearly two decades going from the accounts I've read.
... What?  Are they serious?  What else do they expect to do aside from support ground pounders?  Sure, aerial superiority is a good thing, but what use is it if you're not supporting the guys on the ground?  In fact, was the USAF not originally the US Army Air Corps?  It's ass-clowns like this that get funding cut from the parts of the Armed Forces we actually need.
Back on topic... Anyone here picked up the soundtrack from Inception?  I have and it is nothing short of inspiring and epic... also vaguely reminds me of the Gothic overtones used in the soundtrack for Tim Burton's Batman.

The fighter and bomber mafia in the airforce do not like close air support at all. Anybody recall the A-16 fiasco back in the early 90s? They wanted to develop a version of the F-16 to carry out the ground attack mission of the A-10 end result was that F-16 could not match the accuracy of the A-10 as it's moving far faster than an A-10 as well as the fact that the 30mm cannon was singing internal components of the F-16. Currently they seem to have abandoned the idea of retiring the A-10 due to the fact that it's so damn useful although there is talk of the next ground attack bird being a drone.

There is a bit of debate on as to restarting production of the OV-10 Bronco or buying the Embraer Super Tucano for the COIN role. Although I've also heard suggestions about restarting production of an updated version of the WW2 designed A1 Skyraider as well.
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."

Heh. From what I've heard, Hog Jockies love going up against their faster brethren - it's an easy stunt to let them blow by you so you can let them have it with that gun that eats tanks for breakfast. And an F-16 airframe integrity ain't got shit on an A-10 - you could almost land one without a tail (one pilot during Dessert Storm nearly lost hers and landed just fine).

Never heard of the OV-10 or the Tucano... but I must say, Daddy Like. Especially the Tucano - damn thing looks like the grandchild of a Spitfire.

Actually both the F-16 and the F-15 have been known to take a lot of damage. Most extreme was an Israeli F-15 that had one entire wing literally ripped of  in a midair collision and still managed to land. Video here: http://www.metacafe.com/w...nd_saftly_with_one_wing/
Although still getting hit by the gun in A-10 would probably tear any aircraft to shreds.
--Werehawk--
My mom's brief take on upcoming Guatemalan Elections "In last throes of preelection activities. Much loudspeaker vote pleading."