Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whoa
Whoa
Apropos of nothing in particular...
Because I put a copy of Taco's 1983 version of Puttin' On The Ritz on a mix CD I made over the weekend, Peggy and I got to talking on the ride home tonight about just how old the song was and how it was that something that first hit the screens in the early thirties mentions Gary Cooper.  So while I was assembling dinner she hit YouTube and Wikipedia and discovered that the version everyone knows -- Astaire from Blue Skies in 1948 -- is a rewrite.  That's not too unusual for an Irving Berlin song; Berlin reused and rewrote his material almost as much as Jim Steinman does -- just compare the movies Holiday Inn and White Christmas.  
So, curious about what it originally sounded like, we went and found the version that first appeared in the movie of the same name in 1930.
And dear god, is it racist.  The version everyone knows now is about going to Park Avenue and watching the rich people all dressed up.   The original version is about going to Harlem and watching poor black folks spend their last cent to put on airs and look fancy, with a not-quite-subtle air of mockery at their pretensions to being stylish.
That's all, just me venting at the shock and surprise.  Nothing important here.  Because, yeah, I know, Hollywood, 1930, what else should I expect?  But the differences blindsided us.
Oh, and if you want to hear the very un-PC original, it is.
(And for nicer giggles, Young Frankenstein version.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

People often use "culture shock" to refer to dealing with new phenomena, but I really think that looking backwards can cause just as much of a culture shock. Watching Louis Armstrong have to do a musical number dressed in Hollywood jungle garb (faux leopard print); reading Robert E. Howard talking about the "twisted and corrupted" inhabitants of his Africa analogue in his Conan stories; even watching a 70s Blacksploitation film (or a satire of them; if you haven't watched "Black Dynamite," it's a fun send-up of the subgenre): all of these invoke a weird feeling of disconnection from my own culture sometimes. Proof of time passing and people changing.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
True enough
Try watching Animal House with eyes and thoughts influenced by the years since.  Some of it is truly cringe worthy.  Some of it is just as fresh; there is some incredible, Promethean comedy of display.
Black Dynamite - or the classic I'm Gonna Get You Sucker are both excellent satires of the genre.  Seventies exploitation films are always fun.

Revenge of the Nerds is this as well. Cause, quite frankly, the Tri-Lams would've been booted out faster than you can say Jack Robinson for the Panty Raid Stunt.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

It's odd how different people have different 'definitive' versions of things.  I was first introduced to that song via a short, short clip of Mandy Patinkin performing it.  More recently, I've been a fan of the Shiny Toy Guns version.
I'd never encountered the original or Astaire's version.  Never heard of Taco before, either.
As for the PCness, I'm surprised nobody here has yet brought up the Rabbit himself.  I need to find a complete, uncensored Bugs Bunny collection, one of these days...

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Atom Bomb of Courteous Debate. Get yours.

I've been writing a bit.

Ever since we heard their version of [link="Major Tom (Coming Home)" in that car commercial, Peg and I have been seeking out stuff by Shiny Toy Guns. They've done some really good covers along with their original work.

As for Bugs, well, a few years back (2007, I think), they started releasing uncensored DVD sets complete with all the usual DVD extras: commentaries, documentaries, etc. I got one such set for Christmas, in fact.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.