Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live Events
Live Events
Some of us like to go out and see things being performed live, I went to U2 & Muse's last tour. Saw Robin Williams when he was here. I've got Top Gear Live and Weird Al on my cards and my sister's half-jokingly saying that I should take advantage of some cheep flight deal on the go atm and do a quick trip to Japan, with her......

Back to the gigs. William Shatner's apparently doing a tour and he's coming down here. Has anyone heard of it, been to it, is it any good?

--Rod.H

You're in Australia, right, Rod? I hear precious little about Australian cultural events here in New Jersey...
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Wildly off-topic, I suddenly have the urge to do a Stagger wherein Bob and Doug interact, and title it "Road Trip to Jersey (Don't Nobody Tell Doug)".

Bob and Doug? Ya mean like this?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Well, I would be surprised if Sangnoir and Schroeck didn't riff on the two MacKenzies.

That's right I'm in .au, The Shat's in town doing a one night only gig in April, it's probably in-conjunction with the big Melbourne Comedy Festival which is our version of Toronto & Edinburgh. They're also wanting a Benjamin or so for a ticket to see the show, three Benjamin's and a Grant gets ya the full backstage vip package.

Meh! I'd rather pay that much for a few fast laps in an Ariel Atom. With me driving.

--Rod.H

Quote:They're also wanting a Benjamin or so for a ticket to see the show, three Benjamin's and a Grant gets ya the full backstage vip package.

Wow. Ben Franklin and Ulysses S Grant are on Aussie Currency? Who knew? Wink
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Foxboy Wrote:
Quote:They're also wanting a Benjamin or so for a ticket to see the show, three Benjamin's and a Grant gets ya the full backstage vip package.

Ha ha. I just needed a conversion to something most here would know. Instead of three Greens/Melba/Monash/Lyrebird and a Yellow/Unaipon/Cowan/Southern Cross. How much near Monopoly money we have, it's a British Commonwealth thing.

Yeah, it's like that in Hong Kong, too, where Britain's mark is still felt. There are something like three or four banks over there issuing legal tender, and the only thing that is similar among them all is the denominations.

In the states, there are children who have never seen a quarter with the National Seal on the back of them.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

In Canada, aside from the mint's recent habit of issuing "commemorative" quarters (and less frequently other coins) into circulation with the flimsiest of excuses, our coinage has been extremely stable. The biggest changes I can think of (ignoring the occasional update to our monarch's portrait and the introduction of the toonie in 1996) are changing what picture of the Bluenose is used on our dime. Doing some research, I now discover that we only have "loonies" ($1 coins with a common loon on the reverse) because the Royal Canadian Mint somehow managed to lose the dies to the Voyageur Dollar.
Actually, the above paragraph is not quite true. Though our dies seem to be cast in platinum-iridium, the material, thickness, and edge of Canada's coins is just now settling down.

Proginoskes Wrote:In Canada, aside from the mint's recent habit of issuing "commemorative" quarters (and less frequently other coins) into circulation with the flimsiest of excuses,
Meh. "Keeping the Mint profitable" is a perfectly good reason, and not flimsy at all.

(And I'm not saying that because I'm a civil servant. I'm a taxpayer, too - anything that lowers my taxes is a good thing.)

Proginoskes Wrote:Doing some research, I now discover that we only have "loonies" ($1 coins with a common loon on the reverse) because the Royal Canadian Mint somehow managed to lose the dies to the Voyageur Dollar.
And even that wouldn't have been enough to change the design if someone hadn't decided to ship the dies for the obverse and the reverse of the dollar coin from Ottawa (home of the commemorative-coin Mint and head office) to Winnipeg (home of the circulation-coin Mint) in the same package.

Security procedures exist for a reason. Somebody ignored that fact.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Foxboy Wrote:

No, no - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Benjamin]Arthur Benjamin and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corinne_Grant]Corinne Grant. They love their culture in Australia.

What? This isn't the "Disturbing (and Completely Inaccurate) Revelations About Historical Figures" thread?

Never mind.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Rob, I think both of those have appeared on a stamp each down here. But then if you really want it, anyone can be on a stamp down here thanks to this.