Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strong quake and tsunami hits Japan

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... y-in-quake

Quote:ANN confirmed with Jan Scott Frazier, a close friend of the deceased, and other anime industry members that producer and animator Hiroshi Kakoi passed away during the March 11 earthquake (Tohoku Chiho Taiheiyo-oki Jishin) and tsunami. Kakoi's wife Kumiko survived the disaster.

Among other projects, Kakoi was a producer on The Super Dimension Fortress Macross II: Lovers, Again and Moldiver original video anime series. He also worked as a key animator at the anime studio Artland on the first Macross series (from the first episode onward) and on the 1980 version of Astro Boy (Tetsuwan Atom). He served as a production manager at Artland and the anime studio AIC.

I just wanted to share this with you guys.
This (youtube) video has a clear explaination of the issues faced with the nuclear reactors. That's 8 minutes well spent, in my opinion.

This answers my previous question: Announcement: NCSoft sends condolences to people of Japan

Ah. So its a set donation amount equal to their average monthy Income, not a *buy more stuff and we'll donate more to boot* thing.

And thanks for the video link... I knew that the hydrogen was the problem but I didnt know where it came from, but now I do.

Shame those models are so old. I cant swear to it, but I coulda thought that later (possibly only military, and possibly misinformation cause I read to much military *fiction*) models had a natural circulation mode where the very heat and pressure developed by the decay of this stuff pushed the water around the system and through the cooling exchanges to help keep heat in check.

*goes off wiki diving*
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Shame those models are so old. I cant swear to it, but I coulda thought that later (possibly only military, and possibly misinformation cause I read to much military *fiction*) models had a natural circulation mode where the very heat and pressure developed by the decay of this stuff pushed the water around the system and through the cooling exchanges to help keep heat in check.
I suspect that, if such a system were in place, they could harness the water's movement for electrical power and not need to worry about connecting to the grid to keep the pumps running. Since they're trying to connect to the grid to keep the pumps running, that system probably isn't in place...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

IIRC, that was the 3rd backup system for the GE-Hitachi MkI's at Fukashima, the problem is that those failed as well. Probably because the system wasn't tested/maintained in the 40 years the plant has been operating. It's a pity that system and the backup batteries aren't connected together. You would have had the ability to recharge the batteries and keep the system going longer until you can restore main power.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Star Ranger4 Wrote:Shame those models are so old. I cant swear to it, but I coulda thought that later (possibly only military, and possibly misinformation cause I read to much military *fiction*) models had a natural circulation mode where the very heat and pressure developed by the decay of this stuff pushed the water around the system and through the cooling exchanges to help keep heat in check.

*goes off wiki diving*

That or similar systems are true for the last generation or two of reactors (maybe even 3 generations), but the reactors are old, they predate Chernobyl, and one was due to be shut down and decommissioned this month. It's likely that they stared taking some shortcuts to the safety equipment since not much can happen in 3 weeks right? It's been running fine for 40 years now.... yeah I can see that train of thought happening.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

I'm watching an National Geographic special on Three Mile Island. The actions of Municipal Edison and TEPCO during the crisis is dammed uncanny. DO these guys read off the same script? Irony of ironies..the guy covering the story for Rolling Stone was the guy who wrote the script for "The China Syndrome".
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

Here we go: Photos Of The Fukushima 50 - the fifty workers that have remained on-scene to battle for control of the reactors at Fukushima Dai-Ichi Power Plant.

Truly, these men deserve our honor and respect.

I thought we'd seen the worst
a few weeks ago, but no. The clip at the last link looked like a flood
turning into rapids transforming into a roaring river. This down below here looks more
like what it actually was -- an honest-to-goodness ocean spilling into a
city and swallowing it whole. By the end of the clip, if not for that
lone building on the right edge of the frame, you wouldn't know
civilization had been there.

On a slightly brighter note:
Check out how bloody FAST the Japanese are starting to repair their infrastructure.
As the article says:
"Just remember this the next time you hit Lake Shore Drive and notice the same pothole that's been there for eight months."

http://www.guardian.co.uk...ace-save-nuclear-reactor

It appears nuclear boy might've made a little mess.

Well shit.

Sure, it's nowhere nearly as bad as Chernobyl - in that incident the reactor exploded, flinging nuclear fuel material all over the place... but the integrity of the drywell is a very real concern.

For certain, now, a sarcophagus will have to be built to entomb the reactor, and a long-term project will have to be started to begin the long, slow, and pain-staking process of the removal of the nuclear material.

In the mean time, screw the salt water. I say we should start dumping lead pellets into that mess - there's absolutely no hope left now except to kill the molten mass's capability for criticality.
ETA: In a ways, I hope that this brings more attention to the Chernobyl reactor, which is still in dire need of a new sarcophagus and a material removal program.

meh given how much misinformation and how the we are all doomed is going on I am not going to believe this one yet. Other reports say it's the suppression torus that is leaking after one of the explosions, which is bad but not that bad. We will know more in a few days.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"

The Japanese Atomic Industrial Forum is maintaining a through status of the reactors.
The Reactor Pressure Vessel structural integrity of Reactors 1-3 is listed as "unknown."

*Sighs* At this rate they're gonna wind up doing what they did at Chernobyl - drilling holes through the walls and putting cameras on sticks through them to look at the reactor.

Dartz Wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ma ... ar-reactor

It appears nuclear boy might've made a little mess.

Yeah so it appears that the statements might just be a little misleading, yes plutonium was found outside the reactor, but in such low concentrations that it might date back to some old nuclear tests in the pacific.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/31 ... _of_facts/

As far as I can tell the highest dose anyone has suffered is 0.17 Sv (which did cause radiation burns, ie: sunburn, except not caused by the sun), and they where rushed to several different hospitals. It takes about 1 Sv to cause radiation poisoning (though this heavily depends on the amount of time over which the dose is absorbed) and 2 Sv to make a possible lethal dose. 0.5 Sv in a year is still considered safe for long term cancer risks.

How many people have died for coal, and what has been the environmental effect of burning refineries? Nuclear power is looking like the safest option.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-