Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D modeling resources thread

Lots of fun and/or useful freebies this week - http://www.evilinnocence.com/night-slay ... or-v4.html]EvilInnocence, the folks at http://poserworld.com/Home/Free.Downloads.aspx]PoserWorld, http://www.runtimedna.com/Night-N-Day-Hat-V4-A4.html]RunetimeDNA... and the http://www.daz3d.com/shop/sculpting-tools]Daz3D weekly freebie isn't too bad, either.

I volunteered to be a judge for the September freebie challenge. (I know better than to volunteer for October, and I'm hosting in November.) This month's theme is "TV shows" - out of seven entries so far, three are anime, two are live-action children's shows, and the others are a western and a supers show. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/6815/]Anyone else want to play? (I'm surprised we haven't seen any starships, stargates, or Daleks yet...)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Well, now we've seen some Daleks and a landing party. Still no stargates...

Oh, yes... I made another list of freebies - this time for Toon Girl Sadie. Additional data is welcome, as always...
--
Rob Kelk

Folks might want to loot ShareCG while it's still free... and if you have anything available there, make sure you have a copy on your local drive as well.

http://www10.sharecg.com/...-the-founder-of-sharecg/

(I posted reply #488 out of 31 - let's see whether it actually appears.)
--
Rob Kelk

It should work as long as they retain some form of "free" status, albeit with some limits (like possibly reduced file downloads and hard low limits on what one can share), but if they go 100% pay, we might as well consider that the site will vanish (or at least become irrelevant) inside of three years.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

robkelk Wrote:(I posted reply #488 out of 31 - let's see whether it actually appears.)
It hasn't yet, but posts made after mine have. Very interesting...

JFerio Wrote:It should work as long as they retain some form of "free" status, albeit with some limits (like possibly reduced file downloads and hard low limits on what one can share), but if they go 100% pay, we might as well consider that the site will vanish (or at least become irrelevant) inside of three years.
At least one of the regulars in the Freebie Challenges over on the Daz3D forums gives them three months, not three years.
--
Rob Kelk

Quote:robkelk wrote:
JFerio Wrote:It should work as long as they retain some form of "free" status, albeit with some limits (like possibly reduced file downloads and hard low limits on what one can share), but if they go 100% pay, we might as well consider that the site will vanish (or at least become irrelevant) inside of three years.

At least one of the regulars in the Freebie Challenges over on the Daz3D forums gives them three months, not three years.
I was trying to be generous... although certainly, the fatal part of the damage will occur within that window, at which point they're in the ICU on life support.
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Looks like ShareCG's going with an "either/or" deal - pay to get an ad-free experience, or get ads with the free site.

Meanwhile... it's October, and we know what that means! What? Yes, there's the big PC sale, too, but Fantasies Attic is having their annual Hallowe'en event - a new freebie every day.
--
Rob Kelk

I just stumbled across this link in one of my professional society mailings. You guys might find it useful:

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases ... works.html]New tool gives structural strength to 3-D printed works
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

As a note, DAZ3D charged me for a month of Platinum Club... after several months since I asked them to cancel it outright. And me deleting the credit card profile, to boot.

I've submitted a support ticket requesting they fix this... but I'm now going to need to get my card canceled and reissued (which will cost me more than the charge of $8, but this is about the principle than the cost right now). And once it's all fixed, I'm going to ask DAZ3D to cancel my entire account.
--

Can't you just tell the card issuer that this was an unauthorized charge, and have them reverse it?
--
Rob Kelk

I'll see what I can do this time... but since it's a debit card, there might be a fee associated with doing so. It might be different, though, seeing that I didn't authorize this purchase. (That my invoice says Denver, Alabama, might help immensely with doing that, too.)

Either way, I think I need to get my bank to issue me a new card, just to be absolutely certain this doesn't happen again.
--

You gotta do what you gotta do...

More free stuff: Manomano's released a ballet outfit for TY2, and SanziSannzi's released a "retro suit" for V4A4.

As usual, the October Freebie Challenge is "Music and Monsters." We aren't allowed to re-post our entries elsewhere during the month of the Challenge, but there's no rule against linking to them... so here's my entry. (Maybe "my first entry," but I've been busy lately.) I think this may be the first time anyone's used a freebie from NASA in one of these things...
--
Rob Kelk

They canceled the order and issued a refund. Which is good. I'm still canceling my account completely over there, though.
--

I see DAZ3D and Smith Micro have finally worked out their differences... %[link=http://www.daz3d.com/shop/products/dson-importer]DSON Importer for Poser] appears to import Genesis into the current versions of Poser and Poser Pro.

I don't know how long these have been up, but NASA has a couple-dozen Blender models available for download (http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/3d_resources/models.html]anything here with a gray background, I think).
--
Rob Kelk

I suppose I'll set up to download that and the Studio update I haven't bothered with.

Good thing I was only going to cancel come the weekend...
--

Other than JFerio, is anybody still reading this thread?

(If not, I won't waste time posting to it...)
--
Rob Kelk

Well, I'm always interested in seeing what people are making and what stuff is out there for free. But I don't really have the creativity in this department to really make use of the software beyond curiosity. o.o
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

There's enough free stuff out there that you can grab a copy of something, play with it for a while, and decide whether you like it or not. You don't have to show off your work, or even keep it for yourself... but comparing old and recent work is a good way to see how you've grown.

(That applies in any artistic field - I wince when I read some of my earliest, never-published fanfic.)
--
Rob Kelk

There's a new model - OBJ with textures, so (almost) everybody can use it - of the USS Bubblewrap... er, the USS Packingpeanuts... er, the USS Excelsior
--
Rob Kelk

New freebie from Manomano - a rather stylish coat for V4.

And it looks like I completely forgot to mention the Hallowe'en event over at Fantasies Attic. Edit: No, I mentioned it in post 281

Well, here goes... My very first Freebie Challenge as a host. If you use Daz Studio, or Bryce, or Blender, or Poser, or Hexagon, come over and play!
--
Rob Kelk

*hideous slurping sound from somewhere in Colorado*
--

Yeah. One reason why I hadn't yet done a render of Safety for the FenWiki was that I couldn't find a decent set of pince-nez - until now. (Of course, I'm busy hosting a Freebie Challenge for the next month... Edit: ... but not so busy that I couldn't http://www.fenspace.net/index.php5?titl ... Safety.png]sneak in a render. The hair effect wasn't on purpose, but I like it anyway.)
--
Rob Kelk

November PC freebie: Unicycle Bob. Anyone else think of the first arc on "Nadia" when they saw this?

[Image: imadge_large_4.jpg]

A new top for one of my favourite girls: Asian-Styled Blouse for Aiko 3

[img]http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=31790_c6x2xLM3WClkJ35LNJg3&thumb=1&board_id=1]

With the templates provided, even I can re-texture this to "red with gold trim" for Fenspace's Kohran... a "quipao style blouse" and slacks are more practical in space than a cheongsham is, and XD converts A3 clothing to V4 just fine.

robkelk Wrote:Well, here goes... My very first Freebie Challenge as a host. If you use Daz Studio, or Bryce, or Blender, or Poser, or Hexagon, come over and play!

Three entries, so far (in posts 43, 55, and 64 of that thread). That's a bit below average for the first quarter of the month, IIRC... but I seem to recall there's a four-day weekend later this month in the USA.
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Well, here goes... %[link=http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/10791/]My very first Freebie Challenge as a host.] If you use Daz Studio, or Bryce, or Blender, or Poser, or Hexagon, come over and play!
robkelk Wrote:Three entries, so far (in posts 43, 55, and 64 of that thread). That's a bit below average for the first quarter of the month, IIRC... but I seem to recall there's a four-day weekend later this month in the USA.
And there are still only three entries. I know November is a slow month for the challenges, but this is slow even for November! I just posted a not-an-entry (post 89) just to get things going again... and since it isn't an entry, I can share it here.

"Wish You Were Here" - because some sacrifices aren't obvious.
[img]http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=32257_sSNFH2N6pQq7lKtZtuFV&thumb=1&board_id=1]

(http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50& ... board_id=1]Larger image here. Yes, I know there's image artifacting in his hair. This was two renders in three hours (the photo then the main render), and as the host I'm not eligible to win anyway. The point is to get some activity going, not to look perfect.)

I already invited everyone - now I'm asking. Please come over and play...
--
Rob Kelk

...and that's just about 300 messages. Time for a new thread.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.