Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D modeling resources thread

Ok, thanks. Good to know what to watch out for.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I must be crazy... I've agreed to maintain yet another freebies list. (This will be the seventh. Cue Bugs Bunny: "WHAT am I DOING???") This time, I don't have a body of previous knowledge to draw upon for the starter list, so I'm asking for help.

I need links to free autos (cars, trucks, motorcycles, buses, etc.) and related freebies (gas cans, trailers, etc.), in any format. Please email me (robkelk -atsign- gmail -period- com) before the end of this week if you've got a big list, or post a small list here - I'll need the name, format, and URL of each freebie. I've got the Nightstorm and the Gas Can from free.daz3d.com and I've started to go through ShareCG for appropriate links, so if somebody could scour the Renderosity, RDNA, and CP freebies for me, I'd appreciate it.

And if there's somebody who's enough of a "car nut" here who could tell me how to sort these freebies, I'd appreciate it. Right now, my skeleton list has headers "Motorcycles and Scooters", "Cars", "Racing Cars", "Trucks", "Buses", and "Related Items". I know that isn't good enough for the target audience - a group of auto aficionados...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Rob, that would possibly be slightly more appropriate as "What am I doing?" as from the mouth of Adam Savage. Smile
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Personally, I'd say that categorization is perfectly fine for a auto list. If you really want to make it detailed though, you can these to your list: Make -> Model -> Year; and if you're really ambitious, special features (e.g. turbo, transmission, engine size). For racing cars, you could add in what circuit they'd run in (Stock, Formula, Street racing); and if they're reproductions, which team/racer drives them.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Categories
Having done both commercial and recreational work in 3D - what I am looking for specifically in 3d model lists is licensing.  Commercial/Non-Commercial/Special
After that, keep it simple.  Car, Truck and other (cycle, scooter, etc.)  Your audience is not necessarily using English as a first language, so the simpler, the better.

I like "keep it simple" - that's less work for me.

Should I sort by commercial/noncommercial, or by car/truck/etc.? I can see merits and drawbacks to either approach.

Edit: Actually, I have three different ways to sort these:
  • Type of vehicle: "Motorcycles and similar", "Cars", "Racing Cars", "Military Cars", "Trucks", "Buses", "Other" (I found some go-karts), "Trailers", and "Accessories"
  • Type of model: plain OBJ, Poser/DAZ, 3DS, 3DS MAX, others added as I find them
  • License: non-commercial, commercial, unrestricted, special

Too bad I can't just post a spreadsheet (or, better, a database) to the Daz forums - this has to end up a plain list of some sort.
--
Rob Kelk

make the list in a database, then have it generate a plain text printout
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Well, yes - that's what I do with the other half-dozen lists. Thing is, I know how to sort the other six lists...
--
Rob Kelk

Now I know why I do these lists... I mentioned to the person who asked me for the auto list that I was looking for a Fender Mustang, and he made one for me. For free. I have no idea whether anybody else will ever get the model (not that I would mind if other people do get it).

Now that I have that and the same artist's Gibson Les Paul, I can do images of at least the lead section of Hokago Teatime...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Now that I have that and the same artist's Gibson Les Paul, I can do images of at least the lead section of Hokago Teatime...
"Mister... Tea time?"
"Teatime."
"Pardon?"
"It's Teatime."
--

"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor

Discworld and K-On! - crossover that should be or shouldn't be?
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:Now that I have that and the same artist's Gibson Les Paul, I can do images of at least the lead section of Hokago Teatime...
Is it me, or did anyone else misread this as "Hokage Teatime"?
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I did that CTSNB a while ago, actually...

Back to the topic at hand: The Daz3D forums are being replaced, and most of the old posts aren't being migrated over. So if you want any of the freebies hosted on those forums (such as the Studio 2 Included Content, grab it now.
--
Rob Kelk

Tribbles!

What do folks think of the hair? I know where to ask Ptrope how she did it, but before I do, I want to know whether it's worth asking...
--
Rob Kelk

I think the hair should be longer, myself.Tribbles are fluffballs, not fuzzballs.
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFakingHo ... re=g-all-u]The Faking Hoaxer has made a http://www.thefakinghoaxer.net/tfh%20downloads.html]UFO model available for free download on his site.

(And if you don't know who the Faking Hoaxer is, by all means, follow the first link to his YouTube channel. He makes fake UFO/paranormal/space disaster footage that is disturbingly, creepily realistic, and he is happy to tell everyone how he did it.)
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

I think I now have all the free resources for Kururu on my freebies list. (It's a short list because zincster.com is now 404). Does anybody know of any that I missed?

For that matter, what have I missed on my other freebies lists?
(Autos is still very much a work-in-progress; I expect you'll notice a lot of holes in that list. I'm listing Poser/DAZ format for the characters because they're Poser/DAZ characters; any format for the other lists...)
--
Rob Kelk

It's just been brought to my attention that the Anime Star Fighter bundle and the A3 MFD now have metadata. So, if you're using Studio 4, reset your downloads of these two...
--
Rob Kelk

RedViper is back on ShareCG! Only one outfit so far, though, but it's new: "The Magical Dress Platinum for A4". (And if you remember for which anime Yoko Kanno's song Platinum was used as an opening theme, and what footage was shown when that song was playing, you'll already know what the dress, wand, and companion look like...)
--
Rob Kelk

I need a couple of beta-testers.

My very first freebie: a texture for the free paperback book at Morphography. (The texture is more a proof-of-concept than a serious effort, but at least it's something.) It works on my system, but that doesn't mean it works anywhere else...

Would folks who use Daz Studio and/or Poser give it a try and report the results back to me, please? You'll need the original prop as well - there's a link to that in the readme.

EDIT: Pulled for lack of interest.
--
Rob Kelk

Bob Schroeck Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFakingHo ... re=g-all-u]The Faking Hoaxer has made a http://www.thefakinghoaxer.net/tfh%20downloads.html]UFO model available for free download on his site.

(And if you don't know who the Faking Hoaxer is, by all means, follow the first link to his YouTube channel. He makes fake UFO/paranormal/space disaster footage that is disturbingly, creepily realistic, and he is happy to tell everyone how he did it.)

Man, one of those 3D UFO models is one I'd like to make a flying RC drone thing of and fly it over somewhere. Where? I've a few dream locations to attempt it at.
Want to save over $800?
Daz Studio 4 Pro, Bryce 7 Pro, and Hexagon 2.5 – until February 29, this is what the bottom of your Daz3D order form will look like if you get all three:

Regular Price: $829.85
Platinum Club Discount: $0.00
Sale Discount: -$829.85
Subtotal: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00

[size=larger]$0.00[/size]

Get them here: http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/free-3 ... e?cat=1486

Edit: Gosh, the server's busy for some reason...
--
Rob Kelk

Holy mother of my sweetest science fiction dreams!
--

Nice
Very cool.

Reports from folks who have downloaded them indicate Studio and Bryce have both been revised lately. These freebies are D|S Pro ver.4.0.3.47 (both 32- and 64-bit), Bryce Pro ver.7.0.0.74, and Hexagon ver.2.5.1.79.

And they aren't time-limited trial versions, either - the serial numbers are permanent.
--
Rob Kelk