Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play the game, help DARPA
Play the game, help DARPA
The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/07 ... print.html]Robo-warship sub hunter: Free DARPA crowdsauce game

Apparently, DARPA thinks that making a game available (and, one assumes, recording the inputs that the players make) will help them develop better algorithms for the unmanned subs on their wish list...

The article includes a link to download the game.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Interesting subtext they incuded there...  giving the impression of "is it really a game, or?"  Of course, given that this is DARPA, I'd be more inclined to believe its all blue sky stuff.  something that was actualy controlling or prosecuting an attack by a real naval asset would be classified

all of which is an aside to I found one of the related links at the bottom of the article much more interesting:
Richard Branson to prowl oceans' hadal depths in flying sub
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Is it just me, or is Richard Branson starting to seem like a potential Bond Villain? Airlines, Space Rockets and now Flying subs...

On topic... an Enders Game wouldn't surprise me. What better way to mobilise the in-agile masses in front of their xboxen than to create a game which allows them to guide a torpedo to it's final target. Of course there's one reason why this would never happen.... griefers.

Dartz Wrote:Is it just me, or is Richard Branson starting to seem like a potential Bond Villain? Airlines, Space Rockets and now Flying subs...

What do you mean, "starting"?

Dartz Wrote:On topic... an Enders Game wouldn't surprise me. What better way to mobilise the in-agile masses in front of their xboxen than to create a game which allows them to guide a torpedo to it's final target. Of course there's one reason why this would never happen.... griefers.

Those can be weeded out in the simulation levels - let them continue to play the training game, while the "Ender" types graduate to real missions.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Gentlemen! May I point you towards Eve Online, and their most successful griefers: Goonfleet.