Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, I had a fun Friday night, how about you?
So, I had a fun Friday night, how about you?
I had a busy day on Friday and didn't end up getting to go grocery shopping when I'd intended.  I considered putting it off 'til today, but the stores are always crowded on Saturdays and the Metro on the other side of Bank from me is a 24 hour store, so who cares if it's 22h30.  This was my first mistake.  My second was taking the back path through a, very small, bit of trees instead of going the long way around via Albion or Hunt Club.
On my way back I met two kids who decided that the skinny nerd in the funny hat would give up his wallet if they talked loud and mean and threw a few punches.  This was their mistake.  I ended up with a gash in my eyebrow where my glasses cut me after I got punched the second or third time and few bruises on my face.  They got a kick to the groin, a punch to the face and were picked up by the cops before I'd finished writing out my statement, my wallet never having left my pocket.
Still had a bit of a bad night, but things picked up this morning when, before I went to the police station to get photos taken and meet the detective in charge of the case, I took a quick look around the area where I'd been jumped and found my glasses, which I'd given up for lost, completely undamaged.
Other than that, today I learned that the Elgin St. Diner has some very nice variations on the club sandwich and the Canadian Museum of Natural History is well worth the entrance fee.  Also, the Queen's Lantern is a nice bit of architecture and plesiosaurs are not something I'd have wanted to meet while swimming.
--
Another tradition is to soak the pudding in brandy and then set fire to it.
One year we couldn't find any brandy so we used whisky. This produced a
flame which scorched the ceiling above the table.
                    -- Edward Pierce in the Monastery

Ouch... I hope you're okay. (Although nowadays a gash in the eyebrow doesn't even leave a ridge, let alone a scar, if it's looked at promptly.)

And I knew you lived in Ottawa, but I didn't know you lived in my neighbourhood... (relatively speaking - I'm in Old Hunt Club, not Bridlepath).
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

I'm fine, just a little sore on the side of my face.  Dunno about the gash, but the paramedics didn't think it needed anything more than a band-aid so I'm not going to worry.  Besides it would give me a better story than my other major scars[0]
Huh, did not know we were that close, relatively speaking[1].  We really ought to meet up at least once, especially since I'm now finished my degree and may be moving for the sake of employment.  I mean, I've only been here for four years after all.  I'll bring my sketchbook and see if I can come up with a Noah that isn't too laughably wrong.
[0] "Accidentally punched a glass lampshade (don't ask)" and "Wasn't paying attention to the kid holding a sharp pencil, point up, next to me in music class when I was six" respectively.
[1] I actually have a very poor understanding of where the various neighborhoods in Ottawa are, by name.  For the sake of the remnants of my dignity I will not mention how long it was after I moved here that I figured out just which part of the city is meant when someone mentions 'The Glebe'.  I did figure out 'The Market' quite quickly though.
--
"Canada claims to work on the metric system ... For instance, orange
 juice comes in 1.89L bottles. Yuh."  (Kirrily "Skud" Robert)

Crimany. Glad you taught them a lesson. I'd have been pretty well riled myself.

*whips out Leatherman knife with razor sharp blade.* "Y'see, kiddies, the way I see it I just brought a knife to a fist-fight - I'm not even bothering with a stick. You're at a disadvantage. So now, you gotta ask yourself: Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?"

... at the risk of punting this into politics, that sort of 'tude is phenomenally stupid, BA.  For a variety of reasons.
Firvulag: Glad you're okay, and glad you taught them a lesson.  Good on you, man.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

Spud, don't forget that BA is military, and thus trained to fight. Most punks - and most of us, too - aren't.

Firvulag, cross Hunt Club and cross the Parkway, and you're in my neighbourhood. As for getting together, my phone number's in the book and I have an answering machine...
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

It's more 'got away from and sicked the cops on' than 'taught a lesson', but I appreciate the sentiments.  And BA, yeah, I was rather angry, but a knife would have made things worse and it would be me having long, meaningful talks with the cops right now and not them.  Also, IIRC from the Eva-land photos you posted sometime back, you don't look nearly as much like an easy mark as I do.  I mean it when I describe myself as a skinny nerd.
--
Canada's 4 seasons, of course, being Almost Winter, Winter, Still
Winter, and Construction.
                         -- Rob Chanter, in the Monastery

Righteously siccing the cops on someone is a perfectly good way to teach people a lesson. The objective is to stop them, not get into a dick waving contest. Glad to hear you're fine and it ended well.

Rob, being trained to fight -- properly -- also involves being trained not to escalate force beyond what is necessary to resolve the situation.  Firvulag did exactly right, by his account, by fighting just enough to protect himself and get the cops involved.  BA's solution would, in the US at least, wind up with him in jail, at the very least, assuming that his knife-waving didn't cause the punks to simply kill him instead of trying for his wallet.  This is even assuming that a Leatherman -- a Leatherman, for gods sake -- is useful as a combat knife.  If you have to use a weapon in a fight, you'd be hard-pressed to choose a worse one, except possibly as a simple punch reinforcer.  But more to the point, there was no need to resort to weapons.
I was raised by a police officer and my family, both blood and extended, are all military, police, or emergency response; in some cases, all three (my father-in-law being the prime example).  Being "trained to fight", as all of them and I like to think myself are, is no excuse for getting into a dick-waving contest, as Jinx accurately puts it.

--sofaspud
--"Listening to your kid is the audio equivalent of a Salvador Dali painting, Spud." --OpMegs

In all the fights I've been in, I can say that the WORST thing you can do is boast about your skills. It usually steps up the confrontation to lethal levels.

(a gentle poke @ BA: You're in the Navy, please remember that.)
_____
DEATH is Certain. The hour, Uncertain...

I'm sorry, after several days of this, I can't help but throw in a reference to the story of Sir Trude, a (female) SCA knight who was the subject (not victim!) of an attempted mugging in NYC while walking home from an event in full chainmail and carrying a broadsword. Rather than retell the story, I'll just include a link to the filksong written about the event by Ioseph of Locksley, entitled http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/sf ... eyrsix.htm]"I'll See Your Six!".
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.