Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Vote now for the best sci-fi film never made"
"Vote now for the best sci-fi film never made"
They're having a reader poll over on The Register for "the best sci-fi film never made". Looking at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/27 ... ovie_poll/]the list of 50 candidates, I'm thinking there are a lot of choices that are good books but would make terrible movies...

(And, having just voted, I see the current leader has more votes than the next five titles put together. No big surprise - it would make a good movie now that the state of CG is up to the task.)
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Hmm, The Mote In God's Eye is winning pretty handily right now.

What confuses me is that Stranger in a Strange Land made the list and Glory Road didn't--I'd have those two reversed. I liked the book, sure, but I just don't see Stranger in a Strange Land working that well as a movie--Glory Road, on the other hand, would translate pretty well.

Honestly, though, the movie I'd most like to see done is an actual, faithful Starship Troopers movie. I would think that'd actually work very well as a movie. Of course, that'll never happen now... Two great tastes that go great together!

I think Snow Crash should be fairly do able as a movie. Just don't do it in 3D to keep costs down and there's a some mothballed aircraft carriers they can use for a set too.

But ... they've already made The Stars, My Destination into a movie. It's called "The Count of Monte Cristo."
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Huh. I would have expected Snow Crash to at least be in the Top Five.

I've a thing for Snow Crash myself. Though it'd be hard to pull off right....

*stares at the list of candidates*
....Titan. *dies laughing* 
Titan leads to Titan /sequels/ children, that's how hollywood works...
*votes for Chronicles of Amber. Continues cackling insanely at the concept of the viewing public's reaction to Wizard or Demon on the big screen*

Come on, folks, vote early, vote often, for Downbelow Station.
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.

I think you misspelled "Lensmen" there, ESCNorway...
--
Rob Kelk

robkelk Wrote:I think you misspelled "Lensmen" there, ESCNorway...
Say it with me now: Stainless Steel Rat.
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Angryoptimist Wrote:Honestly, though, the movie I'd most like to see done is an actual, faithful Starship Troopers movie. I would think that'd actually work very well as a movie. Of course, that'll never happen now...
Consider how quickly the last Hulk movie was made after the Hulk movie before it. Never say "never"...
--
Rob Kelk

And now it looks like either somebody's written a script to promote their pick, or the Iain M. Banks fen have found the poll... as of this posting, Use of Weapons has a third of all of the votes.
--
Rob Kelk

I'd like to see The Demolished Man, if just to see how Haruhi fans would react. I'll be over in Crossovers that must not be thread.
-----
Stand between the Silver Crystal and the Golden Sea.
"Youngsters these days just have no appreciation for the magnificence of the legendary cucumber."  --Krityan Elder, Tales of Vesperia.

Some of them, like say C.J. Cherryh's Chanur novels, I'd hate to see turned into a movie. Now, turn them into a mini-series so the script writer doesn't have to slash & burn the story to fit it in an hour and a half... Heck, get some good people and they could get years of anime out of her Alliance/Union universe (of which the Chanur novels are part, simply so far off from Earth that the people in those books hardly ever see a human).

But I'd love to see a well made Stainless Steel Rat movie too (someone, somehow needs to have a SSR/Retief crossover, especially if they're positioned so they're neither fully enemies or allies).
-----

Will the transhumanist future have catgirls? Does Japan still exist? Well, there is your answer.