Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They really should have asked first.
They really should have asked first.
Disney tries something REALLY stupid.

Oh yeah, I heard about this when they first filed the paperwork. Good to see I'm not the only one who thought it was downright tacky.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Love the USN's reaction - direct and to the point. "Ah HELLL naaa. This one is ours and you ain't havin' it."

I would have liked to have seen what would have happened if Disney got the trademarks and the USN didn't stop using them...

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords."

- Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Couldn't that be an Imminent Domain thing?

blackaeronaut Wrote:Couldn't that be an Imminent Domain thing?
It might very well be...and if it isn't the Department of Defense can declare it. not even Disney willing to buck Uncle Sam on this one.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

More like a "We ARE the government, and we will use the titles of our best SEAL team as we please."

Disney is nothing compared to the military when it comes to legal fights, and Disney had no right to try and profit off of SEAL team 6, so it would have been way too easy to handle Disney.

Really, all the military had to do was smear Disney and call them un American, saying that SEAL team six is a way for recruitment, and that it would be unreasonable to have to pay Disney to advertise their own team. It would be like Donald Trump trying to trademark the names of the New York City firefighters that worked on ground Zero on 9/11, not reasonalbe, and incredibly stupid to even try.

Its a good thing they gave up without a fuss, or they would have legally been bended over and by the US lawyers faster then picking up the bar of soap in prison.

Then it comes down to the money, How many army, navy, air force, ect, moms and wives would have their kids not go to Disney land and not let the kids watch Disney channel just out of moral? After all, anyone who they won't help any business that works against the military, some of them had the fathers and husbands die for the nation, it would be very bad business if they did it.

Given that Disney is usually the 600lb Gorilla on the block, it's nice to see them pick a fight - and realise they're up against Godzilla.

Some of that may have been "we're making a movie, go about our standard operating procedures" running up against "Um guys? This bit of Government stuff is not yet public domain!"
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll

Jinx999 Wrote:Given that Disney is usually the 600lb Gorilla on the block, it's nice to see them pick a fight - and realise they're up against Godzilla.
Or worse, realize that they're up against.... well... Seal Team 6.

Aw, and I wanted my Buzz Lightyear, Seal Team 6 figure... Smile

Jinx999 Wrote:Given that Disney is usually the 600lb Gorilla on the block, it's nice to see them pick a fight - and realise they're up against Godzilla.
 And now I'm having Bambi Vs. Godzilla flashbacks.
 Thankfully, they're rather short flashbacks.
 Brian Yaple
 BYapes@aol.com
Brian Y.
Seed Chronicles

BYapes Wrote:
 And now I'm having Bambi Vs. Godzilla flashbacks.
 Thankfully, they're rather short flashbacks.
*Chuckles evilly*
Well, it was a rather short film.

Okay so if Disney stayed their course, they'd be facing a DoD-spouses led boycot of everything they do, the USN putting on maneuvers near some of the parks with a de-mothballed Iowa moored near-by with all the main guns aimed at said park, what else....the flyboys practing CAS and CAP over each park...

Oh and the biggie: DoD pulls all support, technical advisors, filming rights etc from all Disney owned productions.

Yep, they truly picked the wrong group to go against this time.

Which is why the acquiesced so quickly. They realized that it wasn't just a hot potato they picked up - it was a radioactive one. Big Grin

Well, you also have to look at this way. Disney is an american icon..which is an achievement for a commercial company. The SEALS are an American symbol..note the big "A". The good guys battling the bad guys. So if Disney had gone through with this to a good guy, what does that make them? Just another company making a fast buck, no better than every else. At best. They lose their brand name. Which would ruin them in the long run. If a Disney was at the board of directors, this would not had happened. So, it'll be interesting to what happens to the lawyer and his superior for this fiasco.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell

ordnance11 Wrote:Well, you also have to look at this way. Disney is an american icon..which is an achievement for a commercial company. The SEALS are an American symbol..note the big "A". The good guys battling the bad guys. So if Disney had gone through with this to a good guy, what does that make them?
This is rather funny, but very true.
My mom once quoted Ronald Regan talking about russia, and called Disney more or less 'the evil empire.' because they strayed so far away from what the original Walt Disney wanted, and became just another company doing it's thing.

I sort of half-expected the Navy to respond with: "We're sorry, but you cannot trademark that term. That unit does not officially exist. And if it did, we have already trademarked it."
EDIT: I also realized that this is right up there with TSR trying to trademark the term "Nazi" when they did the Indiana Jones RPG back in the 80s. I believe that this falls under Did Not Do The Research (Warning: link goes to TVTropes. I am not responsible for you wasting the rest of your day.)
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Quote:I also realized that this is right up there with TSR trying to trademark the term "Nazi" when they did the Indiana Jones RPG back in the 80s.
Despite how despicably TSR acted at times, this instance is a bit of a myth. Yes, they had a standup paper figure marked "Nazi(tm)" on the cardboard characters insert. They weren't trying to trademark "Nazi"; they were trying to trademark that particular Nazi character, who had no other name -- and doing it properly by the law.
-- Bob
---------

Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:I also realized that this is right up there with TSR trying to trademark the term "Nazi" when they did the Indiana Jones RPG back in the 80s.
Despite how despicably TSR acted at times, this instance is a bit of a myth. Yes, they had a standup paper figure marked "Nazi(tm)" on the cardboard characters insert. They weren't trying to trademark "Nazi"; they were trying to trademark that particular Nazi character, who had no other name -- and doing it properly by the law.
Huh. Now that makes more sense. All I know is the old entry from Murphy's Rules from Space Gamer, where John Kovalic got his start.

Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."

Well, everyone was willing to believe any evil of TSR, because they really were doing most of them for real. Kinda like the Microsoft of gaming. And if you didn't know how this kind of thing works on the legal level, yeah, it would look exactly like what everyone thought it was.
-- Bob
---------

I still have that module from TSR's Marvel Super-Heroes where Marvel had said they trademarked and/or copyrighted a whole lot of names. This was when Marvel was being total idiots and they lost lawsuits to Hero Games(Why Champions os LA went down) and Harvey Comics on Star Comics(Royal Roy that ripoff of Richie Rich) and some others. Marvel and TSR(They Sue Regularly) were a perfect match at the time.
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor