Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking at chat programs
looking at chat programs
So recently my computer died a nasty death (the HD that everything booted off) and recently got it back and started reinstalling everything.

buuut for some reason, I can't seem to get MSN to work unless I install 20 other programs..... so, you guys got any other suggestions for chat programs?

((already got Gtalk, what else can you suggest?)

chat programs
You can use pidgin: http://www.pidgin.im/
or Digsby: http://www.digsby.com/
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg

A ditto for pidgin.

I use it quite happily and it makes with just about everything I need it to, all rolled up into the one program, and with absolutely no ads, unlike the official clients which usually have some advertisements somewhere in the window.

another chime for pidgin, I have been using it since version 0.5 or so.
E: "Did they... did they just endorse the combination of the JSDF and US Army by showing them as two lesbian lolicons moving in together and holding hands and talking about how 'intimate' they were?"
B: "Have you forgotten so soon? They're phasing out Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

mIRC and Trillian and Yahoo Messenger are my personal chat programs in descending order of preference. Unless you're talking voice... which means I'll have to point that that TeamSpeak program that is currently sitting uninstalled after my computer suffered a minor rollback of oh... 5 months. 

mIRC is good, but I dropped Trillian after it started ninja-disconnecting me and putting ads in chats. Never used Yahoo, so I don't have any clue there.

I'll throw my lot in with Pidgin. Open Source for Life!
---

The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."

>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI