Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am beginning to become concerned
I am beginning to become concerned
I downloaded a firmware update for my PSP and told it to get to work as usual, paged through the dire warnings about copyright and reverse-engineering and not unplugging the power cord/making sure the battery is fully charged becasue interrupting it is OMGBADDONOTWANT, etc. That was two hours ago. The PSP is still bouncing the staus bar between 99% and back down to 84% every two or three minutes. Furthermore, while I did make sure the battery was fully charged and should have at least four more hours in it, it won't last forever... This is an unmodified 2000-type with nothi9ng but official firmware, so I have no idea what the problem might be... the UMD drive crapped out a few months back but I was hoping for another browser performance upgrade since this is my primary e-book/fanfic reading device.

Does anyone know if such long update times are normal? If it comes down to it, will putting the power cord in to go off battery mode be as bad as taking it out and making the power regulator switch into battery mode?

- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows

As long as the progress bar is showing, don't shut it off. Doing so may so may render your PSP's firmware corrupt and brick the system. I've noticed that on both the PSP and PS3 the download/install times can take bizarre amounts of time compared to the rate they appear to be going at (something my roommates have nicknamed "The Progress Bar Game"). I say leave it for a couple of days at most, and in the meantime see how far you can stretch your Google-Fu. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Eh, found a guy posting on a PSP mod forum who ws having the exact same problem, but had bricked and rezzed his PSP with a mod battery and memory card a couple of times already. Figuring my goose was cooked either way and not afraid to do open heart surgery on my electronic equipment I force-shutdown right after it flicked back to 84% and wonder of wonders, it booted right back up with the update in place. And then I went and added a hack version that lets me use homebrew software, so I can have Opera Mini as the browser on my PSP instead of the functional-and-nothing-more OEM browser. Yay! I don't know if it's ironic or just typical of my luck, but that was a snap.

- CD

ETA: And on that note... 's a video of the next gen Sony handheld, hacked on the floor of the electronics show before it's even released. Get it before Sony gets wise!
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows